real time web analytics
Report - - Wolverhampton eye infirmary, Jan 2015 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wolverhampton eye infirmary, Jan 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

lucan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
had a good wander here , some parts of the building are fire damaged and damp , not sure what will become of the site as aldi had an eye on it last year for a new store but want to demolish but the listed status of the building holds things up so there it sits waiting its fate
some info i found
The original Infirmary was designed by the architect T H Fleeming (1849‑1935) whose works also include Barclays Bank, Lichfield Street (1876), the College of Adult Education, Old Hall Street (1899) and the late 19th century spire of St. Jude's Church, Tettenhall Road (itself built in 1867‑9), all of which are Grade II Statutorily Listed Buildings, and the former Higher Grade School, Newhampton Road which is on the Council's Local List.

The Infirmary was built by Wolverhampton builders Henry Willcock & Co. at a cost of £13,000 and opened in 1888, providing three men's and three women's wards with thirty beds and five children's cots. A significant part of the cost was met by local philanthropist, Philip Horsman, who also donated the Art Gallery to the town and whose benefaction is commemorated in the Fountain in St. Peter's Gardens.

It is constructed of red brick with elaborate brick details and stone dressings. It is built to an irregular plan in a simple Gothic style under a plain clay tiled roof with crested ridge tiles and two spired turrets, one of which has an inscribed stone plaque bearing the legend: "EYE INFIRMARY AD 1887. Some of the original sash windows have been replaced and late 20th century extensions to the original west front have detracted from the character and appearance of the original building.

There are three principal buildings on this site: the original Infirmary of 1888; the Nurses' Home of 1927; and the Outpatients'/Accident and Emergency Extension of 1937. These buildings are quite different in style but all are of definite architectural and historic interest and all were designed by significant local architects.

All three buildings are locally listed and all are in the Oaks (Merridale Road) Conservation Area. The notes under “Local Listing” above are taken from the Conservation Area Appraisal and are therefore somewhat more comprehensive than the usual local listing notes. A full history of the Infirmary can be found on this site if you follow this link. It will be apparent that the Eye Infirmary has been very important in the social and health history of the city. It has been a greatly appreciated facility in which there was a good deal of local pride.

The local health care trust decided, in 2004, to close the Eye Infirmary, sooner rather than later, and move its services to somewhere else, unspecified and apparently unknown. These buildings are, therefore, at risk and sympathetic new uses need to be found for them. As the grounds in which they stand are now crowded and suffering from poor landscaping and neglect, any re-development should be treated as an opportunity to greatly improve the setting of these buildings.

jabbiq.jpg

xgi5gg.jpg

10p26at.jpg

rrp183.jpg

347xyix.jpg

ei5lae.jpg

2n66pkw.jpg

2hqcrau.jpg

120rnld.jpg

afav00.jpg

2monnmq.jpg

118davm.jpg

10oifc3.jpg

mukj6t.jpg

nwaro7.jpg

w9trh4.jpg

2uskdj4.jpg

2rcy72d.jpg

24zjbxf.jpg

i57hg1.jpg

b3x1ts.jpg

vhx1zk.jpg

nd1kza.jpg

thanks for lookig

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: wolverhampton eye infirmary jan 2015

Wow, looks like everyone's had a piece of that place. I still hear it's a reasonable explore though.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User

We went recently as Cat had never been, it's a sorry shadow of what it was but I still thought it was a decent mooch. Good report!

flasher

Mind the feeeence......!
28DL Full Member

Wow, that's trashed beyond belief now. Glad we had a look round while it was relatively unscathed. ;)

nulleh

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Never thought about this place, not far from me.

Spent a few nights there when I was about 13 with Hyphema; shot in the eye with bent up piece of paper from an elastic band. I'm guessing access is not a problem looking at the state of the place.

Session9

A life backwards
28DL Full Member

Thought this place was long gone. The staircase in the towers was a highlight.

man_gone_wrong

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Man that place is trashed. Looks like its worth an explore though. Nice shots!

iamsilverfox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

never had a proper look at this place. bad weather and needle waving addicts have spoiled my attempts :(

Ferox

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice shots. the one looking through the broken window is a cracker.

David J Lane

28DL Member
28DL Member

Never thought about this place, not far from me.

Spent a few nights there when I was about 13 with Hyphema; shot in the eye with bent up piece of paper from an elastic band. I'm guessing access is not a problem looking at the state of the place.

My grandmother died here in the mid fifties after a very simple eye operation. Had to visit myself early sixties to have a bit of Turner Manufacturing metal out of my eye. Not so many happy memories of this place. But great report and photos . Many thanks

The Guard Dog

Slightly older… still bites
28DL Full Member
This place is absolutely trashed but in good condition from what I hear are the homeless still a problem?

It would be nice to see go back and see this place again hmmm....

Cheers for the share :)

shxnrxse

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
God knows if this threads even active anymore but this place is still an amazing explore now but my friends and I were wondering if anyone knows where we could find a map or blueprints as were attempting to find out what's below the basement as there's a lift going down ( we're assuming there's a morgue down there) any help would be great