real time web analytics
Report - - Worthing Leisure Centre - Sussex - September 2016 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Worthing Leisure Centre - Sussex - September 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
There isn't must history as it was just a leisure centre. The Aquarena swimming pool closed in April 2013 after 45 years, replaced by Splash Point next door, a whopping £20m to complete . Plans tried to be pushed through for a 21 storey tower block to be built on the existing site but they have since been rejected.

The Explore
Visited with @Porker of the night as he found this little gem a week before and I couldn't say no to going this time around. After hovering round for half an hour weighing up our options which were very limited we found a way that worked and we were in. Filled with some great photo opportunities still and not overly trashed surprisingly. All in all a calm afternoon.

On to the pictures,

9F_zpssqyqfyrq.jpg

10F_zpsqmfpv5pb.jpg

11F_zpsiu5a66ic.jpg

1F_zpsut0puzce.jpg

2F_zpsao2ctime.jpg

3F_zpsinibmrl9.jpg

4F_zpst5lde5hq.jpg

5F_zpsnehrealn.jpg

6F_zpsqpnayi4h.jpg

8F_zpsqepnaa6l.jpg

12F_zpsjrag1eoz.jpg

13F_zpsx4h3cfc4.jpg

14F_zpsx1styfay.jpg

15F_zpsswqg3ayy.jpg

16F_zpswfitadwv.jpg

17F_zpsn8ppejk8.jpg

18F_zpsetgshegd.jpg

Can you tell I liked the flume ? o_O

Cheers for having as ganders :thumb

MS Warrior

28DL Member
28DL Member
I swam in that pool from the day it opened .Unfortunately it was only open a few years ,before cracks started to appear in the concrete structure and roof .It was closed down for a couple of years for repairs .It reopened as it stands .It was sold to a developer and the money was used to build a smaller pool next to it destroying a kids open air pool in the process .The developers are now having problems getting planning permission to build a high rise development. I can't see the pool being demolished any time soon .And for anybody else fancying a mooch.Beware the place is known to be well haunted lol

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I swam in that pool from the day it opened .Unfortunately it was only open a few years ,before cracks started to appear in the concrete structure and roof .It was closed down for a couple of years for repairs .It reopened as it stands .It was sold to a developer and the money was used to build a smaller pool next to it destroying a kids open air pool in the process .The developers are now having problems getting planning permission to build a high rise development. I can't see the pool being demolished any time soon .And for anybody else fancying a mooch.Beware the place is known to be well haunted lol

There is 180m2 more pool water in the new place next door compared to the Aquarena, 780m2 in Splashpoint and only 600m2 in Aquarena. Well Splashpoint has 780m2 more than Aquarena at the moment as Aquarena's are empty ;)

Reubaaan

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report, but you were very lucky. Not more than a week after you posted this I went to have a look. After a full 360 walk around of the building, all the places that looked like they could've been access points before were blocked up with fresh boards with brand-new nails and anti-climb paint everywhere. Then, as we were giving up, some kid with a uniform from the new pool came and came out and told us to leave the area. Great pictures, you may be one of few to get them for a while...

silentwalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not lucky, just planned well :thumb they keep on top of boarding up and securing nearly every day by the looks of things but you just have to slip in the right way undetected ;) perseverance fella

Mr Badger

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I was taken to the pool a few times by my grandparents back in the day. Thanks for the great pictures.

Michael lyons

28DL Member
28DL Member
I'd love to get in and take some pics.i experienced the "ghost" as a child through the 70s and in 1990 I wrote an article about the original building."Beachfield" and the building of the original Aquarena with the dodgy roof...met the pool superintendent and manager from the opening in 1968 and heard all about the ghost..it was even in the Worthing Herald in 1970'is ghost haunting towns Aquarena' was the headline.
A chap not so long ago got in and took some pictures..when he went back over the stills,one photo captures a figure in the top right hand corner in Victorian clothes.ill try and add it.it was taken from the deep end of the pool looking towards the shallow end..standing on the corner of the right hand side the figure can be seen clearly.however,it was the only photo taken from that point at that moment that shows it.
I can't upload the pic but I have the copy if anyone is interested.
Anyway..anyone get me in?...happy to cover costs..