real time web analytics
Report - - Wrysgan Slate Quarry - October 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Wrysgan Slate Quarry - October 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rainey

Hilariously under-equipped since 1999.
28DL Full Member
Hello lads, I'm chuffed with this one...

WRYSGAN SLATE QUARRY
GWYNEDD, WALES.

20221022_170036.jpg

So, where to start... Wrysgan is one of many underground slate mines that are cluttered throughout Snowdonia. This mine in particular is one of the smaller ones, outputting 3000 tonnes of finished slate per year at it's peak; absolutely nothing compared to Cwmorthin just next door, which peaked at roughly 12,500 tonnes.
Recorded workings lasted just over a century, with mining activity recorded from 1830 until 1946 - Just 11 people were left working in the mine when it closed.
Compared to other mines in the area, this one is in a rather remote location - A challenge today and a challenge back when it operated. The attempt to deal with that challenge is the unmistakable incline that climbs steeply up from Tanygrisiau, with a hole cut into the wall of the valley. It's never hard to miss. The cost to construct the incline bankrupted the owners of the mine at the time.
One thing I found quite amusing when reading about the mine's history was that it would sometimes cause havoc for the railway trains that collected slate from the quarries in the area, because they'd forget to phone the signalman.

Link to the Wikipedia page on the quarry: Wrysgan quarry - Wikipedia

This visit was one lovely day out. I convinced a Scouse friend of mine to come along and see the mine with me (cue the ex-miner jokes), neither of us regretted it. We were staying in Blaenau Festiniog and made sure to don the walking boots, as well as stuff ourselves with some full English at the Lakeside Cafe before trudging our way up. The trail up to the mine wasn't as bad as I remembered, it's almost as if I've stayed somewhat fit!
The views were spectacular on the way up, as they always tend to be on a decent day in Snowdonia, at least until it rained before sunset.

Unfortunately, however, we didn't quite check out the entire mine. We should've ideally gone up a few more levels when we were outside, but did not. Instead I opted to go for the entrance up on the main mill level, then the lowest adit. So, we only saw two of the main chambers. Regardless, these chambers were pretty much like nothing I've ever seen before, I don't do mines, so it was astonishing to see just how large the chambers were. The chambers in this mine in particular are noted to be far wider than the average chambers found in other mines in the area - They are much lower from floor to ceiling as well.

Regardless, I've bored you with enough text, here's the pictures:

IMG_2618.JPG

Best picture of the chambers I could get. It's only after looking at the photos that I realised there's no dividing wall between the two chambers.

IMG_2615.JPG
Looking down from the rockfall I was stood on, where I got the picture before this one.

IMG_2633.JPG
Spoils... Spoils everywhere!

IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

Nice to see a minecart still around.

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

Tunnels, tunnels, tunnels! Some with rails remaining.

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

Small and relatively narrow cutting, right after coming in through the entry adit. Possibly some of the last work done on this level?

20221022_175552.jpg

A bit of me...

IMG_2607.JPG

MAJOR rockfall. The ceiling has given way in here.

IMG_2642.JPG

Spare rail.

IMG_2574.JPG

View from the quarry.

20221022_164931.jpg

View of Cwmorthin from one of Wrysgan's spoil piles.

IMG_2533.JPG

One of my pictures from the reservoir. On the far right, you can easily spot the Wrysgan incline.

That'll be it from me lads. Mines aren't something I've done much of, so my photography is shoddy at best. I hope to return to this mine soon, and maybe also hit nearby Conglog - The smaller mines interest me.
Until next time! - Rainey

Last edited:

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Mines are awesome places to have wander. Glad you had a good time. Get yourself back underground!

I was made up when I found my first tracks in a mine.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice report. Those chambers do look big. Ive never done a mine, always wanted to. But just don't think I could handle such a trek. Kudo :thumb

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thats pretty nice that.
as above underground is where its at, but get yourself some kit before u venture too far - helmet, decent footwear & decent light!
loving the last pic

Rainey

Hilariously under-equipped since 1999.
28DL Full Member
I appreciate everyone's praise on this, thank you all.
This part of Wales is so photogenic, you don't even have to try sometimes. 😂

Those chambers do look big. Ive never done a mine, always wanted to. But just don't think I could handle such a trek. Kudo :thumb
I honestly wish I could illustrate just how big those chambers actually are, the pics don't do it justice. As for the trek, it is one of the tougher ones. Take some tough boots and a sh*tload of water.

get yourself some kit before u venture too far - helmet, decent footwear & decent light!
I've got two of the three. I always wear combat boots and my old BLF Q8 is still going strong (Bought that based on info from here actually). Looking into a couple of options for helmets, something easier to carry would be preferable.