real time web analytics
Report - - Yiorkio Residences - Cyprus - March 2024 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Yiorkio Residences - Cyprus - March 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dctraining

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History and background: A former development in Nicosia, Cyprus, Yiorkio was built in 1997 as a part luxury-residences, part shopping mall development. This complex was abandoned shortly after in 2001. I cannot find the reason for abandonment, but some articles suggest the lack of balconies in the warm mediterranean climate had something to do with underperforming sales. The Cyprus Health Ministry occupies the former shopping center area now, leaving the residential wing abandoned. There is some more information here: Yiorkio Residence – Nonument
DSCF1400.JPG

DSCF1397.JPG

Report: I did not make any plans to visit this site, and stumbled on it while exploring the city. It was extremely open to access. While there was fencing, it was incomplete with large sections missing.
The entrance is around the back. I love when you can see where you need to get to, and it becomes a hunt to find that location.
DSCF1396.JPG

Up a few stairs, you can see the actual building entrance, which is not accessible.
DSCF1364.JPG

Due to the ease of access and it's time in abandonment, there is very little remaining in the building. It is extremely stripped and not a good explore for those wanting to find a place that looks like someone up and left. However, I still enjoyed seeing the structure and some graffiti.
DSCF1368.JPG

That said, there were some things there, like this painted doors. I am inclined to guess this is a makeshift art studio rather than anything left over from 2001.
DSCF1389.JPG

From the third floor roof between the two towers you can see the in-use wing. That's right, despite the graffiti, that tower is occupied by the ministry of health.
DSCF1370.JPG

This is also a good explore for those who like to get up high for views. There are rooftops/balconies facing in all directions (including the forested park behind the building)
DSCF1375.JPG

DSCF1374.JPG

It was also interesting to see the shells of the luxury flats.
DSCF1376.JPG

I'm sure this is a popular spot with local teenagers, and nobody seemed to care despite it being on a relatively busy road. Definitely a cool place to get a view of the city!

DSCF1366.JPG

DSCF1382.JPG

DSCF1383.JPG

DSCF1384.JPG

DSCF1386.JPG

DSCF1391.JPG

DSCF1393.JPG

DSCF1395.JPG

DSCF1398.JPG

DSCF1401.JPG

DSCF1403.JPG