real time web analytics
Report - - Ystrad Einon Mine - Mid Wales - May 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ystrad Einon Mine - Mid Wales - May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

samkeys99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
IMG_20181210_153306.jpg
I've visited this site several times, Ystrad Einon, a copper mine, is situated near the Artists Valley in West Wales, accessible only via a remote track, the drive to visit is a hairy one, especially when you decide to go in the depths of Winter, which I would not recommend. The first think you come across when you arrive at the site, is a set of crumbling remains of the above ground workings. There are 2 entrances to the underground part that I know of, one vertical shaft, which is more or less inaccessible, and a horizontal adit, which is a short treck through the woods. The adit is usually filled up to the shin with freezing water for the first 20-30 meters, but as it rises, the water becomes shallower until the ground is completely dry. The floor of the passages through the mine are sound, and it is fairly obvious when there is a shaft. The explorable areas of the mine are substantial, but collapses, either purposeful or accidental block a large area of the mine. The main highlight of the mine is a giant water week in a cavernous opening, leaving you wondering how on earth it got into the mine, and how they assembled it.
I don't have that many images, but I'm planning to return to get some soon.
DSS_3498-2.jpg
3.jpg

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It is a lovely little mine.

You were about 12 years too late to meet a bona fide rock superstar who used to live beside the mine.

My better half always complains that I never bring coal home....if I had brought RP home, she would probably have died on the spot...