real time web analytics
Report - - Zachary Merton Ward, Stanmore - August 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Zachary Merton Ward, Stanmore - August 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stormtrooper.exe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History

This location has been absolutely done to death by now, so I'll keep the history of the place relatively short. The Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital is in Brockley Hill, Stanmore. It was acquired in 1920 for £4000, and was opened as a convalescent home. The Hospital was known as the "Country Branch", as it was relatively rural compared to the much more central Town Branch in Great Portland Street.

The Zachary Merton Ward itself opened in 1936 with a humble 44 beds. Over it's extensive history, it was used for recovering patients of Tuberculosis and later as the Scoliosis Unit. Can't seem to find any information on when it closed to be quite honest... A long time ago for sure

The Explore

After suffering a few defeats earlier that day at other locations, and a run in with security, I thought it best to play it safe and visit something popular. Safe to say, there isn't anything ground breaking about the location, I've seen about 10 reports dated in the last few years. It definitely shows it's age, the upper floor being entirely collapsed. Bits of charred wood everywhere too, makes me wonder if it was burnt down at some point.

Entry was a piece of cake, a single fence and a fairly obvious entry point after that. Warnings of CCTV seem to be empty threats, didn't see any sign of them on the buildings exterior or interior.

Having been rinsed and inevitably vandalised, there isn't a whole lot to see but it is nevertheless an interesting explore. It's very dark and dingy, so worth it if you enjoy the creepy atmosphere. Inexplicably, there were dolls hanging from wiring in the ceiling, as if it wasn't unnerving enough already. Most equipment has been trashed although there are a few surviving relics like beds, chairs and some kind of conveyor belt.

The location itself isn't huge but there are a couple of nice photo opportunities and it's good for a short look around.

Pictures (forgot to get one of the exterior, was in a bit of a rush sorry)

DSC00920.JPG

Upper floor in a state of absolute disrepair

DSC00924.JPG

Charred window frame

DSC00927.JPG

Downstairs isn't much better...

DSC00929.JPG

Nice atmosphere in the place, if anything

DSC00938.JPG

DSC00941.JPG

DSC00943.JPG

Very vintage window

DSC00949.JPG

McDonald's coffee slightly ruined it

DSC00964.JPG

No idea what this is, looked like some sort of conveyor. If anyone knows I'd be interested :)

DSC00982.JPG

Surprisingly intact hospital bed

DSC00969.JPG

DSC00976.JPG

Some skillful artistry...

DSC00981.JPG

Thank you for reading, hope it was enjoyable :)

IamInYourWalls

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow it looks amazing, I just tried to explore it today and found it’s sadly been demolished. I guess that’s the nature of abandoned places…