real time web analytics
Report - - Abbeydale Picture House, Sheffield September 2014 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abbeydale Picture House, Sheffield September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Having driven past this very outstanding building over and over again we finally decided it was time to take a look. We knew it would be very dark in here and had not really realised until now but it might be time to invest in some better lighting equipment and a cable release.

There was some cracking features in this building to see and hope while they are on refurbishment they don’t chisel away at the place and leave it without any of its character, it would be such a shame.

This place was a fantastic explore and a great way to end the night! It did throw a couple of curve balls at me but feel from this visit I have learnt quite a lot and look forward to putting it to use in future visits.

Maybe a revisit on this place to redeem myself haha:D

Visited with Leeskywalker

History:

Abbeydale Picture House (later Abbeydale Cinema) is a former cinema in the City of Sheffield, England. When opened by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield on 20 December 1920 the picture house was the largest and most luxurious cinema in Sheffield, often referred to as the "Picture Palace" because of the luxurious cream and gold colour scheme, and dark mahogany seats trimmed with green velvet. The picture house also boasted many intricate decorations and carvings, a mosaic floor in the foyer and a glass canopy with a marble pillar to the outside of the building.

The first film to be shown was The Call of the Road (IMDB entry). The cinema had seating for 1,560 people and also included a ballroom and a billiard hall (the latter is still in operation). Cine-variety played a major role at the Abbeydale until 1930 and the arrival of the "talkies" talking films; from this time the stage was used purely to house the sound equipment. In the mid-1950s the cinema was purchased by the Star Cinema Group which decorated the entire building and installed new projection and sound equipment, including a wide screen.

The cinema closed on 5 July 1975 and was subsequently used as an office furniture showroom until 1991. In 1989 the building was given a Grade II listing by English Heritage being a good example of an early 1920s mid-sized suburban cinema with both cinema and theatre facilities. In 1991 the sprung floor in the ballroom was removed, and local businesses "Abbey Snooker" and "Bar Abbey" occupied the site.

In 2003 the Friends of Abbeydale Picture House—boasting patrons including Michael Palin, Peter Stringfellow and the John Lewis Partnership—was formed to "restore and manage the 'Picture Palace' as a community centre for the performing arts and visual media." The group took ownership of the building on 21 December 2005 and re-opened it in September 2008 following a restoration of the auditorium and installation of a new stage.

The Abbeydale Picture House hosted regular performances and fundraisers to raise money towards the on-going restoration of the building. In June 2012 a stage adaptation of Hi-de-Hi! was produced by the picture house in conjunction with the family of the late David Croft. As it is part of English Heritage the building is open for guided tours on the second weekend in September. The Friends of Abbeydale Picture House eventually went into administration and the building went into receivership

On 30 October 2012 the picture house was sold at auction to Phil Robins, for £150,000 with the intention to renovate the building and bring it back into public use as a climbing and sports centre. Mr Robins operates The Edge climbing wall, also in Sheffield

on with the shots!!

Hope you all enjoy:) sorry about the couple of ISO fails.

ISO Fail!:banghead
_DSC1533_zps1412638a.jpg

_DSC1523_zps023dc5e4.jpg

_DSC1524_zpsd0f2a2a4.jpg

ISO Fail!:banghead
_DSC1527_zpsb86a7a0e.jpg

_DSC1529_zpseecb92e6.jpg

_DSC1532_zpsb8ade9e1.jpg

_DSC1535_zps30457db7.jpg

Thanks for looking!!:)

Until next time..............

Last edited:

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I went inside the Edge climbing centre, I don't think his plans are going well lol. Good effort here though, I always fancied a crack at this one, never got around to it though.

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
I went inside the Edge climbing centre, I don't think his plans are going well lol. Good effort here though, I always fancied a crack at this one, never got around to it though.

Yeah I remember when you did that place, yeah I think your right about the plans its a right mess inside, such a shame!!

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Like that mate :thumb......is it vampires that dont sleep at night :confused :D :D

Thanks mate:thumb yeah something like that, I can tell you the day after at work I felt pretty tired lol

Like the look of this, nowt wrong with you snaps too :)

Its a great place to visit mate, there was so much detail to look at and not enough time, yeah its just the 1st and 4th pic I wasn't to happy with, got quite a few more that were not up to scratch, defo revisit on the cards!!

jazzywheelz

Boring Bearded Bastard
28DL Full Member
I was wondering if you'd manage to crack this one after we spoke about it t'other day. Great effort lads :thumb
That auditorium is stunning.

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
I was wondering if you'd manage to crack this one after we spoke about it t'other day. Great effort lads :thumb
That auditorium is stunning.

Cheers JW, It is a stunning place to visit, just wish it was lighter so I could of seen more haha

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones matey :thumb

Come out fine those pics mate :)

Was having conversation with Lee earlier over lighting etc of this place etc, have to show you that 850Lumen Lenser I use it'll make all the difference for stuff like this mate, certainly reduces exposure time :)

leeskywalker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Really nice pictures mate considering how dark it was (30 sec exposures 2 torches, 2 flashes and a blank LCD Lol) this place would be epic with some natural light

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details