real time web analytics
Report - - The Wellington Picture House/Riley’s Snooker Hall - Stockport - January 2023 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Wellington Picture House/Riley’s Snooker Hall - Stockport - January 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Jonesy.Explores

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First report here, not particularly keen on Bandwagon-ing however having lived a stones throw from this all my life, I just had to take a look.

The Explore - Perhaps the easiest access I have ever come across, a step off of the street takes you into the atrium of this magnificent building. At first glance you are met with a well-rummaged bar area atop a dodgy floor covered in typical bingo carpeting. Navigating that, you are taken down some steps into the main Pool hall, populated with a handful of tables by now caked in bits of what used to be the dropped ceiling and the odd piece of plaster from the cinema’s original auditorium. Some stairs take you up into the Snooker hall, built on top of the circle, the only indication of this being the magnificent carved wood border in the floor below.

Above this again, the projection room, little to boast now but with some rusted features of its glory days clinging to the wall. In the basement, another snooker hall where once was this buildings most surprising feature; Manor lounge, flooded but in surprisingly good nick above the water level.

This was a great explore, one that had piqued my curiosity for many years as I have watched it slowly deteriorate since it closed. I have visited it 3 or 4 times, my photos are from my first visit, but I am curiously drawn back. This has however shown how quickly a building like this deteriorates as each time, a new armful of things is missing. I hope you enjoy, criticism is welcome as I figure out this forum lark!

The History - Opened as the Wellington Picture house in 1921 with stall and circle seating and operated as an independent cinema until 1948 when taken over by Essoldo. The same chain introduced bingo, every Friday, until they decided to repurpose it in 1963 to a full time bingo hall. In doing this, they added a dropped ceiling over the former stall seats and a floor over the circle, creating two floors.

When the bingo hall opened, a local businessman turned the former Cafe and Billiards room in the basement into a music venue called Manor Lounge. The venue hosted many world famous bands from then until 1966, including Tom Jones, Cilla Black, Pink Floyd, Rod Stewart, and The Kinks among many others. He went on to manage another local legend, the Tabernacle, and became known as the man who brought Jimmy Hendrix to Stockport.

It operated under Essoldo, Ladbrokes and Walkers Bingo until becoming a Riley’s snooker hall with tables across 3 floors for playing both English and American Pool, Snooker and Billiards. They also had slot machines, poker, a bar and football games on for punters.

It closed in 2012, ever since it has been rotting away behind closed doors. There was a lot of remnants of its past, the ornate plaster ceiling in the upstairs hall from when it was a Cinema; the yellow and blue colour scheme from it’s Walker Bingo days and of course the swathes of tables from being Riley’s.

86C5BDFB-56A9-44A9-993C-9F46BAA2A212.jpeg

The Pool Hall where once the Stall ticket holders of the Auditorium would have sat

EA6FA6B8-49F9-479D-B670-5F5A8731D4D7.jpeg

Plenty of these now retro beer advertisements hung over the tables

C6203FBD-1693-4404-9590-EE1048A46EB3.jpeg

The Pig, standard Pool Hall tat!

8EE8EF1B-825F-4A4C-8873-CCD991BE6CC7.jpeg

4889F86E-1B6A-4238-AE0D-40114E778C2F.jpeg

Concerningly, these bottles had gone by my second visit

DBADA05E-2ECC-461A-B100-9464FE437214.jpeg

D7ECFE89-A7C1-4257-823A-AC6C6C713DB0.jpeg

The ornate plasterwork gives us an idea of the grandeur of the Welly in its day

0B9A7B41-645A-4D04-A5BF-5F63E6C05036.jpeg

Beautiful stained glass windows, a sensible choice for a view as dull as Stockport

1F134DDD-67E4-48ED-9B70-704618BA2789.jpeg

An incredibly rusted piece of the projection rig - before the days of USB drives and IMAX

EB3F277C-413D-4610-9F82-E6D7E61A7E7B.jpeg

The only suggestion of the circle seats, covered up in the refit of 1963

8A4C1B05-EAB1-4E35-B38D-30C6255D4560.jpeg

The Snooker Room, still in its Walker’s Bingo colour scheme

I hope I haven’t done too bad for my first post and that you enjoy my take on this magnificent locations!

Cheers, Jonesy.Explores

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Cheers for the feedback - yes I find large rooms to be a challenge, any tips?

What camera etc do you use?

What you need is something that can do a long exposure. Stick it on a tripod and set it to 30second exposure then use torch to 'paint' light into the picture. You need a decent torch or even a flash gun for big spaces too.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Good first report that. I’m going to assume you were the guy i spoke to who is local and also blocked by exploring with Jake?

Jonesy.Explores

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There was a few 😂 one if em was the one and only abandoned explorer LOOOOL
Me and Chels were the ones who darted out when some of the others started smashing upstairs, I know of them but they just happened to be there on our second visit 😂

Who has read this thread (Total: 165) View details