real time web analytics
Report - - Chadwell Heath Anti Aircraft Site - London - May 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chadwell Heath Anti Aircraft Site - London - May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dctraining

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Background: This site is a conserved area that was actively used for air defense during WW2. Per the conservation document here, this site was part of the Inner Artillery Zone, and is the only remaining 8-gun site. Most sites were apparently located in otherwise developed land, such as parks, and were dismantled and returned to their former usage after the war. This location's siting in a disused field probably helped preserve it all these years. This site was actually used, unlike some other WW2 fortifications. Apparently it was in use for 76 consecutive days during the blitz.

Explore: The biggest challenge to entry here was thigh-high grass I had to walk through. I wore shorts and definitely got a bit scratched up. There is no fencing to the vacant field if you enter from the south, and the site itself does have fencing but the entry gate is wide open.

IMG_9183.jpg

Much of the site looks like this. Very overgrown, not much physically present except concrete structures.

IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

I believe these circular areas were the actual anti-aircraft sites.

IMG_9237.jpg

IMG_9239.jpg

There was some kind of operational building as well. What's this blocking the entrance? Anyone know if its some kind of machine gun stand?

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The operational building probably held generators and the like, crew ready rooms were situated near the gunpits.

That mystery item looks like a clay pigeon trap.