real time web analytics
Report - - Dartford storm relief mine Kent. March 2023 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Dartford storm relief mine Kent. March 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
History:
Pinched from @Llama’s report. (Gutted you didn’t make it in the end mate). In the late 1880s, a brickwork company under the name of "C.N Kidd's" moved into Dartford, and set up two brick-earth pits which both sat under the western end of the town. These two mines were both connected via a small service tunnel, and were also used purely for extraction of chalk, which was then distributed to various brick production factories. As an area, Dartford was very convenient for businesses like this to set up, given it's close proximity to London.A few years later in 1920, the mine was repurposed once again, a large drain which was connected to the surface water sewers was fitted into the main access shaft of the mine, thus converting it into a huge storm relief soakaway, however, at the same time as the installation of the pipe, the council utilised one of the mine's caverns as a dump for local road sweepings, hence the pile of rubbish that can be seen in one of the chambers.
Explore:
To be completely honest this was a short and sweet visit with myself the bro in law. We popped the entrance and let it breathe for 15 mins while we got suited up. Upon entering the mine it had the earie feel about it and it completely sapped the light from my headtorch due to the scum from urban dartford stuck to the floor and walls. We wounded around for 15 mins taking a few quick snaps then headed out. Go easy as this mine is not very photogenic lol.
Looking back up at the entrance
F192D614-7CE9-4CB3-ABAB-3ECF4B7790DC.jpeg

A few of the galleries which all pretty much look the same
19F0AAB7-6031-4823-8DE7-5A0AD03367C2.jpeg

31D35755-EDA5-46AC-A919-F4AC032A14E8.jpeg

205D97F8-14B5-4BDC-A8E5-594BD339D261.jpeg

30242E3E-1CDF-4726-A9FC-83FEE451B29B.jpeg

We found a little friend down there
3020BD96-1B64-4BB4-A8C3-57F7F3AA14DD.jpeg

BC1D9C1E-ABEE-4149-9F07-68B9608A1B19.jpeg
looking up at an old blocked shaft
DB4450EC-28C0-49FA-BB43-188BE0DCBE9A.jpeg
lastly, a couple of shots on the way out
1CB302D4-F94D-47BB-9232-ECECB309A07A.jpeg

139920C4-A23E-4A1E-8FC6-3AC6930DE5AA.jpeg

18594B3B-65AA-4CC9-A94E-6D1AFE9AFD45.jpeg
Good to get this one finally ticked off the list but in fairness it’s not a very nice place to be for too long. Defo worth a look though!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
When I saw "storm relief" I wasnt even going to look but the connection to a old mine actually makes this pretty nice.
Thanks for sharing

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Cracking place. Good to see it again. Any trouble from the houses? They watch that entrance like hawks

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
This was on my to-do list, but It looks a lot more mucky and horrible dark silt down there than I expected
Great report!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Was also on my to do list, but reading the intro, I dont think I want to wade in neighbours waste :oo Nice set though. I thought this was in NP before? Could be wrong.

Doozer

Probably underground somewhere
Regular User
I put the first report up back in 2014 in public. No real need for it to be in np. You have to do some research to find the access which will deter the riff raff
I remember reading this report years ago when I first researched it, didn’t you write something about an accident you had in this report? 🤔

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I remember reading this report years ago when I first researched it, didn’t you write something about an accident you had in this report? 🤔
Yeah that's right. I proper shattered my foot. Bad times. All good now luckily 😂

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
I put the first report up back in 2014 in public. No real need for it to be in np. You have to do some research to find the access which will deter the riff raff
Fair enough. Yep I had to do some digging to find the 2 that are around here. Some people just cant or wont bother.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome report mate! gutted I didn’t make it in the end, glad you boys got the run of the place with no issue :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 275) View details