real time web analytics
Report - - Magheramorne Quarry, Co. Antrim, June 20 (image heavy) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Magheramorne Quarry, Co. Antrim, June 20 (image heavy)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jh1

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Magheramorne Quarry and cement works is located not far from Larne, it was a quarry operated for crushed stone. Vesicular basalt with zeolite-lined cavities with associated species. Most recently, Blue circle cement was made here. Lafarge Tarmac owned it and had big plans for it (https://www.larnetimes.co.uk/news/developer-vows-forge-ahead-magheramorne-quarry-plans-2592247) I'm not certain they still own it, but it is used for off road 4x4 driving currently. I didn't know it at the time, but apparently the guy responsible for security is 'well known' and if what I've been told is accurate he is (https://www.irishcentral.com/news/former-british-soldier-shocking-roscommon-eviction) There was one or two indications I wasn't the first person to visit, and I've seen pics from here and thought it was on this site but a search shows nothing. The site is probably most well know for being one of the main sites for Game of Thrones filming in NI, with the White wall and a large section of the quarry painted white at one point there was also a fairly large structure built at the quarry wall, I remember reading that a portion of the wall fell one day and filming had to be stopped for a while... its all gone now but here are some pictures from then from google.

I visited this when lockdown restrictions had just been lifted in N.I. It was a very wet and windy Sunday Evening and in typical fashion my initial thought on entry led me in the complete wrong direction, I realised fairly quickly and went for the old faithful obvious and it wasn't long before I had got into what I later realised was the first of 2 (or some would argue 3) sections. First was the cement works themselves, some outbuildings and big bits of machinery, mostly very old and dilapidated, but full of character. I spent a good while exploring all buildings except what appeared to be an (unmanned) security lodge. A quick climb over a fence took me into the quarry section of the site which is where the artificial wall had been built, a huge green screen which you can see in the previous report. It has been dismantled and only some metal work remains. The quarry is separated by a main road and a rail line to Larne a bridge connects the two sections at the far end of which is a gate. I spent a few minutes pondering how to get around it, over it or through it. As I was about to take the least sketchy route I could see, one of the rails wobbled, it was hanging by one bolt and I was able to slip through very easily. This section of the site had at least 2 large pools, one with two large silo type structures above and another that I only realised existed when I found what was probably the best part of the entire site, a tunnel. Totally unexpected, it made my night.

anyway I think that's more than enough waffle, in no particular order other than saving what I consider the best half a dozen or so to last;

Attachments

• mag-5.jpg
    mag-5.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 30
  • mag-10.jpg
    mag-10.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 32
  • mag-17.jpg
    mag-17.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 31
  • mag-18.jpg
    mag-18.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 35
  • mag-25.jpg
    mag-25.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 30

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Cool report. Great attention to the smallest detail, that makes it even better. Normal people dont spot these little details like explorers do. We look for them. People see a derelict, falling down building, we see opportunity. Nice one :thumb

Reactions: jh1