real time web analytics
Report - - Martins Bank, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent - July 2023 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Martins Bank, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent - July 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Martins Bank, Longton, S-o-T

A slightly mysterious building along Longton’s Market Street which was at one time a branch of Martins Bank from 1951 to 1970 - thereafter it became a couple of random shops… Household Appliances, general crap etc.

Clearly it’s a mid-Victorian building, probably originally offices with an accompanying ancient workshop to the rear and with nearly a century of interesting stories to tell… What any of these may be, nobody seems to know! Answers on a postcard please!

Visited with @raisinwing one evening in late July. I'd actually spotted a way in about a month before but was too hungover at the time to do anything about it.

mb (5).jpg

Somehow the time-warp Martins Bank sign remains, having been covered up probably 50 years ago and uncovered again in 2010.

mb (6).jpg

Once upon a time the bank had a nice stylish 50s interior, but apart from the original bank doors which were behind a breeze-block partition - nothing else remains. I didn't take any pictures of the revolting shop, although I did take one of the bank doors which I've since managed to lose.

The vault still exists in the basement

mb (4).jpg

mb (16).jpg

mb (15).jpg

mb (18).jpg

mb (17).jpg

The rest of the gaff was just a bit of a maze of bits of shop and empty rooms

mb (7).jpg

mb (8).jpg

mb (1).jpg

mb (2).jpg

mb (9).jpg

mb (13).jpg

Old two-storey workshop

mb (11).jpg

mb (14).jpg

These stairs were particularly terrifying to climb

mb (3).jpg

mb (12).jpg

mb (10).jpg

mb (19).jpg

Put the curiosity to rest at least...​

Last edited by a moderator:

tigger

mog
Regular User
Its a shame the logo on the door is from ownership by Bank of Liverpool so the duck is more obvious than the grasshopper above it.
No connection to the Martin's in Jug but my first bank account was with Martins...had a major disagreement with Barclays when they took it over and a couple of years later finally got my money out to a less bad bank ;)

The grasshopper

7.jpg

This is full of silver coins ;)

5.jpg