real time web analytics
Report - - 2011 - FEB - Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - 2011 - FEB - Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Deadpad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
kkjDn.jpg

After passing this on the way home from Cambridge, I could not pass up the urge to have a quick look. After getting caked in mud going the long way around and then feeling stupid after finding an extremely simple way in, it was a good find. Most of the outbuildings were locked but you can easily see what is inside through the windows. Light was diminishing fairly quickly so I had to be quick.

History

Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory is home to a number of large aperture synthesis radio telescopes, including the One-Mile Telescope, 5-km Ryle Telescope, and the Arcminute Microkelvin Imager. Radio interferometry started in the mid-1940s on the outskirts of Cambridge, but with funding from the Science Research Council and a donation of £100,000 from Mullard Limited, construction of the Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory commenced at Lord's Bridge, a few kilometres to the west of Cambridge and was opened by Sir Edward Victor Appleton on 25 July 1957. This group is now known as the Cavendish Astrophysics Group. (Wikipedia)

Pictures

Full set available here.

ferPk.jpg

v47Eo.jpg

gaO16.jpg

TyB4D.jpg

WKkrd.jpg

JXzML.jpg

KqJTy.jpg

4Kzew.jpg

8poWE.jpg

LD1RM.jpg

Full set available here.

Thanks for looking.

Deadpad

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

I'm liking it man, pretty interesting find, did you go on your own?
Shame you couldn't get inside to see what was in there, just looked through the full set, some shots look like they could have been a set build for Star Trek :P

Yeah I went on my own on the way home, and heh, does look like something out of star trek :D

Nelly

Fat Fucker!!!
28DL Full Member
Very nice, another one added to my list of places to visit, you chose a good time of day for those skies mate. :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 8) View details