real time web analytics
Report - - A couple Morgues and Hospitals - 2019 to 2021 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - A couple Morgues and Hospitals - 2019 to 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
An overall Introduction
Like broken crisps at the bottom of a near empty bag of crisps they're always good but don't necessarily constitute as a full crisp. Similarly with some reports, a few photos doesn't really constitute as a report but they are always of some interest. There are more I could put here but I'll try to keep this Hospital and Mortuary Flavored.
So, here's four short reports.

St Bartholomew's Hospital Mortuary - Rochester - July 2019

This place laid fairly dormant, in exploring terms, for most its disuse right up until demolition of the hospital. I first found out about this place through probably the only report on this forum at the time and decided to give it a visit.

I made a total of three attempts here with two being somewhat fruitful.

The first en-devour went rather well. The place was quiet and had seemingly been left "untouched" for a while. After a rather quick and easy entry, unceremoniously flinging myself through a window, we took a few shots and I sent myself on a wander around the hospital after spying some interesting features through the windows.

The second visit was with two others.
It didn't go too well. The easier way in was jammed and a homeless man decided to ask us for something. With that we left.

We revisited again, same people as attempt 2, a few months later just after the first clickbaity YT videos emerged on the place. Again a fairly easy entry with the only calamity being a knocked over wheelie bin.

I'm not going to cover the history as it can be found in other reports that I'll link to below.
(https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/st-barts-hospital-morgue-rochester-july-2019.119238/)
(https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/bartholomews-mortuary-rochester-aug-19.127221/)
(https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/st-bartholomews-hospital-rochester-july-2017.109401/)

Imagery
It is worth mentioning the significance of the spinning table top.
Being built before the advent of high powered surgical lighting seen today the only way to view within a cavity was by using an operating theatre with a large window allowing vast amounts of natural light. This light would then be reflected using mirrors. This can been seen in the NSRI looking at the older theatres in comparison to the newer rooms.
Instead of using mirrors the table here is rotated depending on the lighting conditions.

Mount Street Hospital - Preston - Mayo 2021

Introduction

It's safe to say if an operating lamp is present, I'm interested. Having known about this since starting the hobby but not having the physical will to go so far north this place slipped from my mind almost completely for the last few years. Eventually having ended up a mere half hour from it there was no reason not to give it a go.

History

It's been gone over so much at this point it's certain some of you may be able to recite it without reading it.
Here's a short run of it.
The site dates back to it opening in 1872 as a Gothic styled Orphanage under the name of St Joseph's Orphange for Roman Catholic Girls. The initial funding was gifted by Mrs Maria Holland at a sum of £10,000 for the construction of the building and housing of 30.
The site was officially accredited as a school in 1879 with girls from 2 to 15 being taught and housed at the facility with girls from the Workhouse authority being admitted after this accreditation.

In 1877 another donation from Mrs Holland commenced the construction of Mount Street Hospital for the sick poor.

The Orphanage lost its certification as a school in 1890 resulting in the whole site becoming St Joseph's Hospital with the girls now accommodated at Moorfield Orphanage.

From this point the Hospital operated until closure in the 80's with it being used during the first World War and later a training hospital for nurses from 1958. After closure it operated as a carehome for a short while.

The Visit
Having navigated the parking hell that is Preston I eventually gave up and paid a few quid to park within a 100 mile radius of the place. After a few failed guesses at an access point I decided to hop the wall using a conveniently placed fence and once over it seemed like a success. After a walk up and down it seemed like a false hope until I tripped over and in doing so noticed the way in.

It's safe to say this visit was just in time, the place now under preparation for demolition, so it was straight to the theatres!

Always like seeing these old Hanaulux Lamps.

Onto the chapel and Other areas

The Beeches Care Home - Standon Hall (Staffordshire) - Jan 2021
Technically a hospital?

This visit can easily be summed up as slightly disappointing, maybe because I had too high of expectations at the time or I'm very tried as of writing this.
That being said care homes, technically a mix of hospital and hotel, are always rather drab and depressing to wander around with the only piece of interest often being the clusters of wheelchairs.

A quick history
The former care home was operated upon the former Standon Hall Orthopedic Hospital.

The site is upon the estate of Standon Hall which is a country house constructed in the early 1800's. The hospital came into being in 1920s for treatment of TB which was common at the time and later expanding into Orthopedics.

The hospital closed in the 1980's following the construction of the Stafford District General Hospital which lead to the formation of the care home upon the former site.

The carehome would come under scrutiny in 2015 following an unannounced CQC inspection in 2014 which highlighted the home as Requiring Improvement on grounds of safety, effectiveness and leadership.
The closure soon followed in 2016 leaving the home vacant.

As of today plans to build upon the site have been rejected and the hall has since been purchased for use as a wedding venue.

The visit
Nothing spectacular to speak of here apart from having to park a mile or so away due to it being in the middle of nowhere.

St Ann's Mortuary - Tottenham - May 2019

Introduction
Before having the ability of using a car a lot of our days out relied on train travel and for the most part ended up with us being in London, it was eventual we would visit here.

The explore
Walking up the road we couldn't help notice the excavator and spotter next to the building working away. Having been on the train for the last few hours I wasn't ready to walk off. It took a bit of wild guess work but we were in having timed the worker's going onto break time. We didn't stay long, just enough time to grab the good shots, as the knowledge of our exit being blocked was very prominent.

History
There isn't much history on the mortuary itself, like most morgues, and was presumably built along with the hospital during developments.

The hospital dates back to 1890 upon which the Metropolitan Asylums Board identified land in which a hospital could be built upon. The purchase was decided against due to a land cost of £12,000.

In 1892 a outbreak of scarlet fever lead to most hospitals under the control of the Metropolitan Asylum Board being left overrun. The local board, who decided against the purchase in 1890, eventually gave way an allowed for the construction of the Hospital with it opening a few months later. The hospital consisted of around 50 wooden huts, and an extra 13 for staff, connected by sheltered walkways.

Fast forwarding to 1898, the site had expanded and was beginning another expansion along the western perimeter. This involved removing the wooden structures in favour of brick structures including strucutres for staff, the receiving rooms and discharge rooms, wards and the Mortuary in the south-east quater.

The hospital operates today as a general hospital for chest diseases and infectious illnesses, as of the 90's, although a lot of services were moved to other hospitals under the same trust.

And with that, that'll be all.

KP_

Attachments

• DSC_1777-HDR.jpg
    DSC_1777-HDR.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Very nice ensemble, cracking shots. As above though. I think the history and photos could be reports in them selves.
But I get why you've done it like this. Sometimes collections look so good together.
Ive recently done a black cab bone yard, London bus bone yard, and site equipment bone yard. All have been in different places, and a mystery as to why they were there. Debating how to post

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Very nice ensemble, cracking shots. As above though. I think the history and photos could be reports in them selves.
But I get why you've done it like this. Sometimes collections look so good together.
Ive recently done a black cab bone yard, London bus bone yard, and site equipment bone yard. All have been in different places, and a mystery as to why they were there. Debating how to post
Very nice. I would have thought there would be enough at each one to do a single report though.
Thank you both, these could have definitely been individual reports but I personally felt otherwise.
There have been other previous reports which combine an assorted collection of similar places (will link some later) and I personally felt it was a better use of a thread. As said with my comparison to crisps a few photos doesn't really constitute as a report in my own mind.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thank you both, these could have definitely been individual reports but I personally felt otherwise.
There have been other previous reports which combine an assorted collection of similar places (will link some later) and I personally felt it was a better use of a thread. As said with my comparison to crisps a few photos doesn't really constitute as a report in my own mind.
Yeah I can see exactly what you mean. And at the end of the day it is up to the individual how they format there reports. I still enjoyed it though.

Who has read this thread (Total: 194) View details