real time web analytics
Report - - Abandoned Castle in Italy, Italy - June, 2012 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Abandoned Castle in Italy, Italy - June, 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

thecrazyfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So the last successful explore in Italy was to this wonderful abandoned castle in deepest Italy. It was a bit of a mission, involving multiple train journeys, several kilometres walk and battles with mosquitoes and flies but was worth it in the end.

Visited by myself in the sweltering heat of plus 30c and high humidity but inside it was a cool and relaxed explore. I had the castle by myself, frescos on multiple walls and I could see all around the countryside. What else could I ask for? I took loads of pictures here, and I don't think I've fully done the place justice. I tried to keep the numbers of pictures to a limited number but I wanted to capture the feeling of this wonderful place - so sorry in advance if there is an overload in pictures!

History of the castle is a bit sketchy but as far as I can research it had it’s foundations built in the 1170, being mainly used for military functions and then became a noble house when it was then abandoned.

Pictures:

The front of the castle. Typical Italian architecture.

IMG_8589.gif

The courtyard, filled with the following artwork. Thankfully, not completely trashed. Pictures of the walls and ceiling:

View attachment 453252

View attachment 453253

View attachment 453254

View attachment 453255

The main rooms and staircase of the castle:

View attachment 453256

View attachment 453257

View attachment 453258

View attachment 453259

View attachment 453260

The spiral staircase, wall decoration and roof:

View attachment 453261

View attachment 453262

View attachment 453263

And the following pictures below, the main hall. Probably the best room in the whole castle. Different views, and close up of the fireplace and artwork:

View attachment 453264

View attachment 453265

View attachment 453266

View attachment 453267

View attachment 453268

View attachment 453269

Last edited:

Gwen Edgett

28DL Member
28DL Member
OMG !!! This place is beyond anything I expected. Just unbelievable. I am so jealous of you. It should be a CRIME that this place is being let go. The other side of the stance is, if it wasn't we wouldn't get to see it. So envious. Glad to see it hasn't been totally trashed. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for getting this recorded and sharing with us.