real time web analytics
Report - - Air Raid Shelter, Northfleet, 26/05/2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Air Raid Shelter, Northfleet, 26/05/2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanJS

28DL Member
28DL Member
It was mine and my friends first proper 'urban exploration' today and also my first post on 28DL, although this was the second time visiting this place, the first time was the day before just to see what it was going to be like gaining access. (As we have never done anything like this before).

Here is a quick history of the air raid shelters from underground Kent.

"The company W T Henley has always been highly regarded for the manufacture of cable and electrical components and was clearly the company of choice when a system had to be devised as a countermeasure to the growing threat of German magnetic mines during the Second World War. As a result, a new site was constructed in 1939 in Gravesend for W T Henley and a complex of tunnels built underneath to provide air raid shelter for the company’s employees.

With at least six entrances, the air raid shelter was very clearly signed internally to ensure that there was no confusion when looking for your allocated space. Cut into chalk and lined with prefabricated concrete, the shelter tunnels were well laid out, including first aid areas and numerous latrines – in the form of Elson buckets.

The tunnels remain remarkably well preserved and have seen use in the post war era."

Here are some of the pictures which were all taken on an iPhone 5S.

IMG_1191[1].JPG
IMG_1185[1].JPG
IMG_1196[1].JPG
IMG_1192[1].JPG
IMG_1207[1].JPG
IMG_1226[1].JPG
IMG_1224[1].JPG
IMG_1221[1].PNG

The picture above is a screenshot of my phone's camera. For some reason it kept doing this when we walked past a certain point in the tunnels. Reminds my of something out of a horror film before something bad happens. Anyone have any ideas?

UrbanJS