real time web analytics
is this a former air raid shelter, or sewage related? | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

is this a former air raid shelter, or sewage related?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pastybap

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all,

As title says, I have one mate who reckons was an old air raid shelter or bunker, and I see what he is getting at, as there seems to be some brick work missing, but why the manhole and step irons? It is also near a particularly pungent CSO on a brook, and there is a manhole with the sound of loud running water a bit further down, which makes me think it could be drainage/sewerage? There were air raid shelters in the area, and it is next to an active railway line, but I cannot see it being railway related, unless it was for supplying water to steam trains or something?

Any ideas on, as I am stumped?

Cheers,
PB

photo_2024-04-23_13-15-02.jpg

photo_2024-04-23_13-14-56.jpg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Almost certainly related to drainage of some sort. Air Raid shelters usually have steps down to them.

Only one way to find out tho - pop the lid

pastybap

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Almost certainly related to drainage of some sort. Air Raid shelters usually have steps down to them.

Only one way to find out tho - pop the lid

Cheers, this is what I mentioned to a pal online I have been chatting with about it. All the air raid shelter entrances I have seen locally have steps going down and then turn in? I am now thinking it may have been an old CSO, replaced by one built opposite since the 90s maybe.