real time web analytics
Question - - Are maps useful for urban exploration and finding new places? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Are maps useful for urban exploration and finding new places?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xMatherZz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Would a OS Map be useful to find new places to explore? Or should I just rely on google maps?

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
I have found new places using OS maps; but they have often been a bit too far gone to be honest
However, they are useful in finding tunnels & culverts if that's your bag (shrug)

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
Bit of a traditionalist myself and still use old fashioned paper maps. Wouldn't even know how to turn on a sat nav myself.

OS maps do show places marked with words such as "shaft" or "derelict" which is useful and worth investigating. OS maps will reveal old unused railway and canal tunnels but really Google Streetview is the winner in this game and often identify the access points before you even leave home.

Snake Oil

go in drains
28DL Full Member
Yes. Find a blue line, follow it till it stops then see it reappear on the other side of a town centre/estate/whatever and tadaaa you've got yourself a drain to explore :thumb

xMatherZz

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for all your replies I do want to get into tunnels and drains, cheers :)

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
OS maps are good for finding culverts, as Wombat said. Haven't really found them of use for anything else.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Old OS maps can point you in the direction of where you may find old industry or similar. If its there 50+ years ago and its still there now check it out.

They also help when planning an explore. They show footpaths ad what not..

Its all free on Bing so use it! i do.