real time web analytics
Report - - Bar Pot to Gaping Gill - Yorkshire Dales - December 2011 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bar Pot to Gaping Gill - Yorkshire Dales - December 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Horus

Butt Wipe
28DL Full Member
Bar Pot to Gaping Gill

Attendance: Model A, Briggsy and Horus

BarPot.jpg

Time for another caving trip, Iv been wanting abseil Gaping Gill for sometime now, unfortunately the weather has been really bad over the Dales so I didn't fancy abseiling down the main shaft for us to climb back up through a rushing waterfall.

Also Flood entrance was a no go with heavy water throughout the cave system, so Bar Pot it was, after a 4-5 miles walk to the entrance I was already shattered and after a short rest I manned up and done it :D

On with the pictures....

Start of the ascent up the 4-5 mile hill.
IMG_0012.jpg

Cave entrance.
IMG_0016.jpg

Looking through the waterfall of Flood Entrance.
IMG_0017.jpg

Passage ways through the Cave system.
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

The waterfalls at Gaping Gill, unfortunately we lost light by the time we got in the chamber so we only had torches to light it up, still, I can only describe how amazing this place is, if you go and see it, it will be double from what ever you read on the web.
IMG_0041.jpg

Normally I don't post pictures with poor quality on here but I just wanted to show the scale of the waterfalls.
IMG_0043.jpg

The climb back up the 60ft pitch
IMG_0050.jpg

Climbing up the second Pitch (30ft) through a tight hole, Pictures taken from Briggsy.
408558_10150459323013634_615933633_8873388_532480386_n800x600.jpg

386156_10150459323073634_615933633_8873389_2135452394_n800x600.jpg

Thanks for looking.​

Last edited:

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Bumping this very old thread as an interesting comparison to the recent GG Dihedral report, that entrance bit looks a bit of a tight squeeze!

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
I'd love to go but just don't think I can? But if anyone wants to try this be aware that the GG Winch meet Aug 23rd means that a lot of routes will be rigged, including bar pot which is rigged from NOW GG Winch Meet Aug 23 if anyone wants to go and do it ... on someone else's already rigged ropes too :)
(thanks to various people from CPC)

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
A cracker of a route!
Did it yesterday (own ropes, CPC rigging for winch meet had been removed).

Anyone with a big built frame, or a beer gut will have severe problems on the top 5 metres of the entrance pitch especially getting out. Only attempt if you're not big or tubby.

Really good complimentary route to GG Dihedral as this is a lot more cavey (stooping, crawling, wriggling and needs some route navigation) and the lower pitch is a classic pothole, whereas Dihedral is about huge open spaces.

STRONGLY advise people to do this one especially if they've already been down Dihedral

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A cracker of a route!
Did it yesterday (own ropes, CPC rigging for winch meet had been removed).

Anyone with a big built frame, or a beer gut will have severe problems on the top 5 metres of the entrance pitch especially getting out. Only attempt if you're not big or tubby.

Really good complimentary route to GG Dihedral as this is a lot more cavey (stooping, crawling, wriggling and needs some route navigation) and the lower pitch is a classic pothole, whereas Dihedral is about huge open spaces.

STRONGLY advise people to do this one especially if they've already been down Dihedral

does look a fun trip that, ill have to persuade @Down and beyond to leave the Gwydir

CantClimbTom

28DL Full Member
does look a fun trip that, ill have to persuade @Down and beyond to leave the Gwydir
From seeing some of his photo albums, I think if you just lie and tell him that GG main chamber is neck deep in filthy acidic ochre water and the stemples/props holding the roof up are near rotted through, he'd be up to the Dales in a shot