real time web analytics
Report - - Barbican Service Tunnels and Cromwell Tower - London - July 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Barbican Service Tunnels and Cromwell Tower - London - July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

extreme_ironing

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was looking to try out my first crane this weekend but ended up dropping by here instead, views at the top of the tower were fantastic, best I've seen so far of London from up high - no sign of the super-moon unfortunately as the sky was completely clouded over :(, caught it on the horizon the other day on Gas Holder 7 but the wind really screwed up my shots of it. :mad

The network of utility tunnels underneath link up all the buildings on the estate, I have no idea how long they are in total.. I returned the evening after I took the rooftop shots to explore more of the tunnels as was going to an event in the Barbican anyway, fair to say they're pretty extensive and I managed to lose myself a few times even though I figured I had a grip on where I was!

Cromwell Tower is one of three on the Barbican Estate standing 123 metres (404 ft) high with the top 2/3 floors containing swish penthouses. The larger estate is home to around 4,000 people living in 2,000 flats. The flats reflect the widespread use in Britain in the 1960s and 1970s of concrete as the visible face of the building.

Cheers to The Raw and his mate (sorry, can't recall your 28dl handle right now! :banghead) for letting me tag along, just the process of getting up there and seeing the tunnels made it much more fun than I imagine climbing a crane would've been.

The Cromwell tower behind the Barbican Centre.
Lk0OeSM.jpg

I guess during the day the techs travel around by midget cycle.
j1P5qDO.jpg

Multiple levels.
MLJtvEP.jpg

YxAMO7K.jpg

A room full of blueprints for the Barbican Complex
ujLIJYH.jpg

Blueprints for the Cromwell Tower.
UfnLlFP.jpg

pUpfWKe.jpg

Pump room with generators and comms equipment for the tower.
zbr59pt.jpg

Looking towards central London, Barbican complex below.
yE9OWHf.jpg

Looking north..
sjzCeGB.jpg

The Gherkin, Tower 42 and the Cheesegrater.
WByzxjn.jpg

The Thames.
IIM8FqG.jpg

St Pauls Close-up.
n74hVJ9.jpg

Shard.
hobQbT7.jpg

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
You got some cracking shots of the skyline :thumb. Did you have a go on that bike?

Gabe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm the other guy with the_raw.

Cracking shots though, loving the bike.

Kinda wish i had taken some pics in the blueprint room, may have to pop back yet again.

Last edited: