real time web analytics
Batteries... | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Batteries...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Can someone recommend a decent brand/model/supplier of 18650's? At the moment I have at least one die a week and its getting a bit annoying.

Last edited:

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
SoShine and Xtar are both good. Basically anything using the Panasonic NCR18650B cells is going to be reliable, but get protected.

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Despite the cheap sounding name 'Torchy' 18650's are good.
Beware of the cheap 18650's which are just old laptop batteries which are unprotected and repacked to look like new.

drhowser

Bespectacled & irrelevant
Regular User
Despite the cheap sounding name 'Torchy' 18650's are good.
Beware of the cheap 18650's which are just old laptop batteries which are unprotected and repacked to look like new.
Actually, yes. Torchy the battery boy isn't it? That rings a bell for some reason.

Dan1701

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just buy the 10p ones, no point faking shit that cheap.

You'd be surprised, honestly you would.

Say you're a Chinese equivalent of "Cut me own throat" Dibbler and you've just taken delivery of a job lot of zinc-carbon AAA batteries that your more honest colleagues cannot shift at all, because there's nobody left in the world who'd buy zinc-carbon batteries when alkalines are as cheap and last way longer.

So, there's you with your load of old-technology cheap crap batteries. How to shift them? Easy, just run off a job lot of Duracell packaging and put them into those wrappers, then hawk them on everyone's favourite tat bazaar eBay at stupidly low prices. Sooner or later some complete mug is going to buy them, and get burned on the deal. Doesn't matter to Chinky CMOT Dibbler; there's a never-ending supply of dozy idiots willing to buy crap at silly prices...

Maniac

rebmeM LD82
Regular User
I strip down old laptop batteries and use the cells out of them for my 18560 battery supply. If you know what you're doing there's virtually no risk - the trick is to never fully discharge them and always charge them fully with a proper charger that monitors the voltage of the battery. All the protection circuit does is prevent over-discharge and over-recharge - it's that simple.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Been there, done that. CBA as they always seem to be a really low mah and last next to no time. in my experience of course and to be fair I was using some pretty old laptop batteries.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
On that note though... I have a box of 12 I've pulled from lappy batteries (untested), if anyone wants em, just looking for postage.

@Ojay did you manage to find the suppliers name?

Who has read this thread (Total: 2) View details