real time web analytics
Report - - Bayer Waste Water Treatment Plant, Cambridgeshire - February 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bayer Waste Water Treatment Plant, Cambridgeshire - February 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
This is a site I found on satellite imagery a while back, and I thought I’d give it a quick look while me and @V50jake were in the area checking out a few other places.

Information & History
The water treatment plant was used to pump and treat water from the demolished Bayer Agrochemical Facility which was situated to the east of the site. The main facility was demolished in 2010 and was replaced with new housing and flats but the treatment works remains extant in a decaying state.

In the last few years, some effort has been made to demolish part of the site as the old labs and other admin buildings have been taken down, but there are a few bits and pieces which still remain today. There isn’t much more to say about this site in terms of history etc, it’s as exciting as it can get for an old waste water works…

The Explore
It’s a shame to see that some of the site had been demolished when we arrived. The site was easy to access and there were enough things to see and take photos of regardless of the absence of the other buildings and tanks that were demolished. It was a bit of a strange visit though, there was a guy by himself flying a custom-made drone about, and there was also a metal fairy rummaging around some piles of the demolished bits.

I was debating posting this but I do like simple industrial sites like this and I thought it would still be of interest to some even though to many it appears to be quite a ‘basic’ place with little historical interest. There are still a few bits to climb as well and the views from the ladders ain’t too shabby! There’s also a squash court on site but it was very dark and trashed in there so I didn’t get any shots of that.

Onto the photos, starting off which the entry gates which I enjoyed, certainly a nice mix of colours here!

IMG_9609.jpg

IMG_9615.jpg

This is my favourite shot of the site, this was near the centre of the works:

IMG_9422-HDR.jpg

Towards the back of the site were some old rusting tanks, I loved the big writing on these, made them feel quite significant in a way:

IMG_9450.jpg

There were several bits of graffiti on these, but this was my personal favourite piece:

IMG_9404-HDR.jpg

There were plenty of pipes running around the site as well which I thought were pretty cool:

IMG_9376-HDR.jpg

IMG_9410-HDR.jpg

I believe these are carbon filters, but please correct me if I'm wrong!

IMG_9434-HDR.jpg

Here's an overview of most of the site from one of the climbable bits. You can see some of the remains of the demolished buildings from this shot.

IMG_9555.jpg

There was a small building which had a few nice bits in too:

IMG_9583-HDR.jpg

And finally a selection of other miscellaneous shots of the site...

IMG_9438.jpg

IMG_9461-HDR.jpg

IMG_9503-HDR.jpg

IMG_9506-HDR.jpg

IMG_9522.jpg

IMG_9532-HDR.jpg

IMG_9599-HDR.jpg

IMG_9602-HDR.jpg

IMG_9623.jpg

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shame they demolished the nice bits of this place. Still worth posting and I like the detail shots.
Thanks mate. Yeah it's a shame, the old buildings looked really nice on an old report I saw from Mookster. I think the other bits were only demolished at the beginning of last year so I wish I knew about this place sooner, oh well you win some you lose some!

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You managed to make this look better than it did on the day. I don't think I even got the camera out here, honestly can't remember ahaha

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
You managed to make this look better than it did on the day. I don't think I even got the camera out here, honestly can't remember ahaha
Thanks, you know me though I will always try regardless of the place. I love shooting and editing industrial shots regardless of how significant the place is! Nah I think your camera was quietly snoozing in your bag for this one :rofl

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Some nice details in there. An overlooked bit of industry. I like this. :thumb

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one that, some really good shots there, cheers for sharing.
Thanks a lot!

Some really nice shots here, good to see somewhere different
Thanks mate, I agree.

Not a bad mooch.
It was certainly worth a look! Better a few years ago, mind you.

Some nice details in there. An overlooked bit of industry. I like this. :thumb
Thanks Jane, the pipes and wheels etc were nice to see

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
It is odd how they left it half demolished like that. The one pressing question I do have though, is has the 'speed retarder' sign gone from the access road?

There was an old mill opposite it on the other side of the road although I think it's been restored/converted now, I gave that a go a couple of times but on one occasion it was very sealed and the one time I found it open it was very loudly alarmed.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Juts seen this report, like the colours on them shots!
Cheers mate!

It is odd how they left it half demolished like that. The one pressing question I do have though, is has the 'speed retarder' sign gone from the access road?

There was an old mill opposite it on the other side of the road although I think it's been restored/converted now, I gave that a go a couple of times but on one occasion it was very sealed and the one time I found it open it was very loudly alarmed.
Yeah, it is strange. I didn't notice the sign. I also tried the mill opposite but there were no points of entry, it still looked derelict to me but there was a small porta cabin on site but there wasn't any life.

Who has read this thread (Total: 218) View details