real time web analytics
Report - - Belsize Park Deep Level Shelter, London - November 2023 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Belsize Park Deep Level Shelter, London - November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Regr3ssed

28DL Member
28DL Member
This is our first report, featuring me (OP) and two other friends @Gollyis2good and @Toby4321 . We found about this place from the reports from here and on YouTube and thought we would give it a try, even though it has been quite a long time since the last report. Apologies for the trash images, we aren’t professional photographers.

History
(taken from subbrit.org.uk)

The Bombings of 1940 forced a reappraisal of deep-shelter policy and at the end of October the Government decided to construct a system of deep shelters linked to existing tube stations. London Transport was consulted about the sites and required to build the tunnels at the public expense with the understanding that they were to have the option of taking them over for railway use after the war. With the latter point in mind, positions were chosen on routes of possible north-south and east-west express tube railways. It was decided that each shelter would comprise two parallel tubes 16 foot 6 inches internal diameter and 12,000 feet long and would be placed below existing station tunnels at Clapham South, Clapham Common, Clapham North, Stockwell, Oval, Goodge Street, Camden Town, Belsize Park, Chancery Lane and St. Pauls.

It may be assumed that at these points the deep-level express tubes would have no stations as the diameter was too small. Each tube would have two decks, fully equipped with bunks, medical posts, kitchens and sanitation and each installation would accommodate 9,600 people.

All the deep level shelters were sub-divided into sleeping areas. Each tunnel was divided into 4 sections with connecting doors between them. Each section was given a name. At Belsize Park the northern entrance sections (i.e. those accessed directly from the northern lift without crossing to the other side) were named: Godley, Baden-Powell, Frobisher, Ashurst, Scott, Livingstone, Rhodes & Kimberley while those accessed from the southern entrance were: Cook, Hudson, Dampier, Jameson, Milner, Vancouver, Phillip, Wolfe. Only one tunnel (accessed from the northern entrance) was ever used as a shelter. Each section had bunks fitted longditudanally along the outer wall, a single at the top, a double in the middle and a single at the bottom. Along the inner wall bunks were fitted across the passage forming bays. There were 4,380 bunks in total and each bunk was allocated to a named person. If they didn’t turn up one night the bunk remained unused. The southern tunnel was reserved for other, unrecorded government uses. (PRO file HO205/191-82364)

After the war, various uses were found for the Government deep shelters, including the storage of documents.

The Explore

We decided to check out both turrets, first the northern turret which seemed to be welded shut (and upon inspection from the inside, the stairwell had been boarded shut). Arriving at the southern turret, after 30 minutes of searching, we found an entrance into the stairwell. The power had been turned off and we begun the descent into the deep shelter which I must say has taken such a toll to our legs. The sheer vastness of the entire shelter and the fact that it is practically unknown to the public apart from a few locals, really put the place into perspective. We spent a good 4 hours down there mapping the whole place out although I don’t know how safe it was with the ominous signs on the fire doors stating the presence of asbestos.
However, unlike the previous reports, the tunnels have been subjected to severe graffiti and vandalism, and the mercury arc rectifier in the machinery room has been destroyed, which is quite saddening. Overall it was a great explore, and it was unnerving when the passing underground trains displaced all of the air in the tunnels. We also found a half eaten cake in a questionable state, think it belongs to @Seffy

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0444.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0446.jpeg

Example of some of the graffiti that have plastered the walls of the various tunnel.
IMG_0448.jpeg

The destroyed mercury arc rectifier
IMG_0449.jpeg

The_Raw

Staff member
Sad to see the state of the place. Has the art rectifier been smashed or has someone clumsily removed it? Difficult to tell from your pic but I can't see any smashed glass on the floor.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Certainly looks in a sorry state nowadays compared to a few years ago. Nice write up all the same :thumb

Regr3ssed

28DL Member
28DL Member
Sad to see the state of the place. Has the art rectifier been smashed or has someone clumsily removed it? Difficult to tell from your pic but I can't see any smashed glass on the floor.
Yeah there was glass on the floor so I assume it was smashed

Gollyis2good

28DL Member
28DL Member
I went with him, and yeah definitely smashed up, glass on the floor, sad

Sheard

~
28DL Full Member
Pretty sure there were 2x Arc Rectifiers here at different ends of the site. The other wasn't broken in April last year.

Who has read this thread (Total: 203) View details