real time web analytics
Question - - Best Portable Ladder Option? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Best Portable Ladder Option?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Hi all. For a while I've been after some kind of climbing aid to help get over fences that are slightly too high or reach the rungs of ladders that start several metres up. I want something that can be carried with exploring kit so a folding aluminium ladder of the kind you see everywhere nowadays would be a bit too hefty. Some kind of rope ladder or sling with foot holes seems best, but I know these can be tricky to climb. I'm pretty agile but not up to any freeclimbing stuff. Any suggestions or experience tips would be appreciated. Cheers :D

Also, would something like this be of use or not at all?
Ocun Ladder H-Step - Foot Loop Sling | Buy online | Alpinetrek.co.uk

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I've had a 5m fibrelite ladder for years. One of the best exploring investments I ever made. It's basically the same as what you linked. (I think genuine fibrelites are quite expensive now so guess the chinese have copied them)

Obviously if youre Intending to go up rather than down you will need to be able to rig it. I have a window cleaners pole with a spike on the end and a scaff hook with a bit of tube fixed on it. The spike goes in the tube and makes it simple to hook on stuff 6m in the air.

Wastelandr

Regular User
I've had a 5m fibrelite ladder for years. One of the best exploring investments I ever made. It's basically the same as what you linked. (I think genuine fibrelites are quite expensive now so guess the chinese have copied them)

Obviously if youre Intending to go up rather than down you will need to be able to rig it. I have a window cleaners pole with a spike on the end and a scaff hook with a bit of tube fixed on it. The spike goes in the tube and makes it simple to hook on stuff 6m in the air.
Cheers! Think I can picture that, the tube and pole sounds clever as rigging it was the next dilemma. Any chance you can send a pic? Also do you find it ok climbing a flexible ladder especially where it's suspended from one hook? I've heard they can be pretty wobbly.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
Not sure I've got a picture to be honest. It's simple tho really. Think mine is just a 4inch length of electrical conduit duct taped to the back of the hook. Hardest part is getting the pole back in the tube from 6m below to get it down again afterwards. It's like threading a needle. Always manage it tho

Climbing it is easy as long as you remember to put your arms behind the ladder as if your hugging it rather than the usual "crawling up" style of climbing.

Wastelandr

Regular User
Not sure I've got a picture to be honest. It's simple tho really. Think mine is just a 4inch length of electrical conduit duct taped to the back of the hook. Hardest part is getting the pole back in the tube from 6m below to get it down again afterwards. It's like threading a needle. Always manage it tho

Climbing it is easy as long as you remember to put your arms behind the ladder as if your hugging it rather than the usual "crawling up" style of climbing.
Got you thanks I can picture it, that is a good shout. I've got to ask does the hook not have a clip over the front as otherwise I'm guessing it would be stuck up there?

Every ladder is portable if you're willing to carry a ladder
True ahaha, I just don't think its practical for some explores though

Last edited:

GRONK

Useful Idiot
Regular User
I've got a Workzone 3.25m telescopic ladder, it clocks in at about 11kg so it's pretty portable and fits nicely in the boot of a Fiesta.

IMG_9754.jpeg

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I have a 42ft sling ladder, this sort of thing

Iv cut it in 3 so I have different lengths & carabina together if needed, its by far the easiest sort of ladder to carry.
Prob is its only really useful if u are at top & want to go down.
I paid about £80 for 42 ft one but cant remember where from

also have one of these though which is pretty awesome. but a bastard to get off again if u throw it up somewhere Only paid about £15 for mine

mockney reject

Staff member
I can recommend the telescopic type, i have both the 3.2m & the 6.2m versions and both have got me in and out of trouble on various occasions lol

I can also recommend and electron ladder for climbing down stuff, the 9m one I have is awesome, they can however have a shelf life

redhunter

redxrag on instagram
28DL Full Member
I got given a Telesteps 3.5 telescopic ladder by my sister's boyfriend. It's heavy but it's almost 12ft tall and hasn't failed me yet. Before that, I use to use a grappling hook and some rope.

perec4stor

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi all. For a while I've been after some kind of climbing aid to help get over fences that are slightly too high or reach the rungs of ladders that start several metres up. I want something that can be carried with exploring kit so a folding aluminium ladder of the kind you see everywhere nowadays would be a bit too hefty. Some kind of rope ladder or sling with foot holes seems best, but I know these can be tricky to climb. I'm pretty agile but not up to any freeclimbing stuff. Any suggestions or experience tips would be appreciated. Cheers :D

Also, would something like this be of use or not at all?
Ocun Ladder H-Step - Foot Loop Sling | Buy online | Alpinetrek.co.uk
If you're in search of reliable climbing aids for overcoming fences or reaching high rungs on ladders, there are a few noteworthy brands and models worth considering:

1. Little Giant HyperLite: The Little Giant HyperLite ladder series offers lightweight and portable telescoping ladders. These ladders are constructed with durable aluminum and feature a compact design that makes them easy to carry in your exploring kit. ( I use it since 2 years now )
  2. Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness: When it comes to rope climbing, the Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness is a popular choice. It provides comfort and safety with its adjustable design, making it suitable for various climbing situations.
  3. Metolius Portable Power Grips: For additional grip and stability, the Metolius Portable Power Grips are handy climbing sticks that can be adjusted to your desired height. These sticks offer ease of use and are designed to withstand rugged conditions.
Remember, always prioritize safety and choose equipment that suits your specific needs and skill level. It's also beneficial to seek advice from experienced climbers or outdoor professionals to ensure you make informed choices.

Cheers mate! ;)

Natah-X

What am I doing?
28DL Full Member
I can recommend the telescopic type, i have both the 3.2m & the 6.2m versions and both have got me in and out of trouble on various occasions lol

I can also recommend and electron ladder for climbing down stuff, the 9m one I have is awesome, they can however have a shelf life
What are the telescopic ladders like to deploy? how long does it take to extend?

Who has read this thread (Total: 186) View details