real time web analytics
Question - - Best Portable Ladder Option? | Kit / Clothing / Equipment | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Best Portable Ladder Option?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Exploring With Pride 🌈

Exploring with pride in more ways than one
28DL Full Member
Hi all. For a while I've been after some kind of climbing aid to help get over fences that are slightly too high or reach the rungs of ladders that start several metres up. I want something that can be carried with exploring kit so a folding aluminium ladder of the kind you see everywhere nowadays would be a bit too hefty. Some kind of rope ladder or sling with foot holes seems best, but I know these can be tricky to climb. I'm pretty agile but not up to any freeclimbing stuff. Any suggestions or experience tips would be appreciated. Cheers :D

Also, would something like this be of use or not at all?
Ocun Ladder H-Step - Foot Loop Sling | Buy online | Alpinetrek.co.uk
We use a collapsible ladder works great

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
If you're in search of reliable climbing aids for overcoming fences or reaching high rungs on ladders, there are a few noteworthy brands and models worth considering:

1. Little Giant HyperLite: The Little Giant HyperLite ladder series offers lightweight and portable telescoping ladders. These ladders are constructed with durable aluminum and feature a compact design that makes them easy to carry in your exploring kit. ( I use it since 2 years now )
  2. Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness: When it comes to rope climbing, the Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness is a popular choice. It provides comfort and safety with its adjustable design, making it suitable for various climbing situations.
  3. Metolius Portable Power Grips: For additional grip and stability, the Metolius Portable Power Grips are handy climbing sticks that can be adjusted to your desired height. These sticks offer ease of use and are designed to withstand rugged conditions.
Remember, always prioritize safety and choose equipment that suits your specific needs and skill level. It's also beneficial to seek advice from experienced climbers or outdoor professionals to ensure you make informed choices.

Cheers mate! ;)
Only just noticed this post. I'm not sure about the alpine bod. It is good in that you can put it on and off without stepping through loops, so if you are wearing crampons, skis etc that's essential or on a long/multiday route you can take a dump and still stay in the waist clipped in. But I don't think it's great for non mountaineering.

I had one in the early/mid 90s and it was good for glacier travel and classic alpine mountain routes etc. But if you're not careful it can rise up between legs especially if wearing layers of clothing and partly trap a testicle between the webbing and leg which when weighted for an abseil is not enjoyable experience. I replaced mine following that experience. Giving me sweaty palms remembering that one. Never ever ever again! Ever!

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I've often wondered if a rope with short lengths of copper pipe or a plastic conduit knotted along its length would work. With tube knotted in it shouldn't tighten up on your feet as you put weight in the loops.

For work I carry a collapsible ladder in the van and they are great but perhaps not so easy to scarper with.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've often wondered if a rope with short lengths of copper pipe or a plastic conduit knotted along its length would work. With tube knotted in it shouldn't tighten up on your feet as you put weight in the loops.

For work I carry a collapsible ladder in the van and they are great but perhaps not so easy to scarper with.
Ah ha, you are talking about a caver's "Knobbly Dog" pain in the ass to use, copper pipe will bend and plastic conduit will bend!!

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh now you're talking!!

The item I'm alluding to is a single strand Caver's Electron Ladder, bear with me - you take 3m (or so) of 6mm stainless steel wire and swage an eye in one end with a Tellurite Machine, steer clear of those shonky bolt together Bulldog clamps, then add every 300mm (or so) swage a 12mm rung (150mm longish) until you reach the end then either put another eye or some other termination.

I suppose you could make one from 9mm chord and some carbon fiber tubing chopped to length a figure 8 loop for a carabineer at each end and tight clove hitches for the rungs.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I've got some carbon tubing and alloy tubing for that matter, I might do one rung of each and see how much jumping on them it takes to make them unusable.

CantClimbTom

Enthusiastic Idiot and prolific BS talker
28DL Full Member
Not the same use as an electron (caving) ladder but if you just want to say: nip over a palisade fence I find these really good

Tucks away in an integrated pouch and they are really small and light and easily fit in pocket even small jacket pockets. A short sling and mini wiregate/snaplink carabiner often come in handy to hook over something at top. Optionally use two (one hanging down either side if it's extra spikey and hazardous) but mostly you can use one and jump down or flip it round when you're at the tope. 2 of them still fits in one jacket pocket (well, my jackets anyway)

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Not the same use as an electron (caving) ladder but if you just want to say: nip over a palisade fence I find these really good

Tucks away in an integrated pouch and they are really small and light and easily fit in pocket even small jacket pockets. A short sling and mini wiregate/snaplink carabiner often come in handy to hook over something at top. Optionally use two (one hanging down either side if it's extra spikey and hazardous) but mostly you can use one and jump down or flip it round when you're at the tope. 2 of them still fits in one jacket pocket (well, my jackets anyway)
Cheers this is exactly the setup I've gone for! Got this occun H step one but very similar

Who has read this thread (Total: 186) View details