Web
Analytics
Report - - Blackburn Royal Infirmary - August 2013 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Blackburn Royal Infirmary - August 2013

FocusOnScott

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Hey there,

Found this place by chance as I thought it was knocked down years ago! The builders are working around the perimeter of the site as they are building new houses all around it...the parts the remain are the war memorial wards and are listed which is why it hasn't been demolished. The building is absolutely wrecked but it is still worth a wander around...the roof top is actually quite a nice place to relax and watch the world (Blackburn) go round!

THE HISTORY:

The Infirmary was opened in 1865. It was one of the first hospitals in England designed in accordance with the principles of a ‘pavilion hospital’. Eight linked eight wards were designed by a Manchester architect, Roger Turnbull, staggered along a spine corridor, with a larger central block. Construction halted in 1861 and the building was never finished to the original design, although increased patient demand led to its extension in 1884, with a nurses’ home added in the 1890s. The Victoria Wing was added in 1901, with later extensions to the east. Following the First World War, the Blackburn Memorial Committee decided
that the principal tribute and memorial to local men lost in the Great War would be the construction of a new wing, the War Memorial Wing. Designed in the early 1920’s by local architects Sames and Green, the construction of the War Memorial Wing began in 1924 and was completed in 1928. The building was designed to compliment the Italianate architecture of the original 19th century hospital. It was designed to provide an imposing frontage and statement building to greet any traveller entering Blackburn along the Bolton Road to the south east. Although it is not the oldest or the tallest building on the site, its location and design dominates the site. It rises above road level so that the tall central tower and wide flanking wings, with ornate decoration on the northern elevation, are seen as a highly visible feature.
Photo time!!!


9590701297_64f749b7c9_b.jpg



9593493068_528be555b0_b.jpg



9590694735_702f7db49f_b.jpg



9593483444_96618e925e_b.jpg




9590696571_c5eea0aa6b_b.jpg



9590687463_1da43dc79d_b.jpg



9590686233_a79a69b17b_b.jpg



9590684089_cc06c67d92_b.jpg



9593471364_d6565cee76_b.jpg



9593510046_12e7e6f789_b.jpg



9593508556_300bef4b04_b.jpg



9593506850_92dfdb3826_b.jpg



9590710825_77b6d41e5a_b.jpg



9590709079_952b8b95bb_b.jpg



9593500560_d3c40cfa19_b.jpg



9590705055_cb60782f29_b.jpg



9615616118_fda3ab4b0c_b.jpg



Thanks for looking!!! Come again!!!
 

Similar threads