real time web analytics
Report - - Booter's Hall Pump House, Norfolk - November 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Booter's Hall Pump House, Norfolk - November 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Introduction
Another gem hidden away in the depths of the Norfolk countryside discovered whilst trawling through both old and modern maps. Being only a 40-minute drive away, I decided to head off to see what I could find, and it’s certainly a nice one with lots of see! Visited with @JakeV50.

Information & History
There is no specific information about this particular site online but I did manage to dig out an old borehole record for the pump house. The borehole record states that this pump house supplied Booter’s Hall Farm with water from a spring within Newell’s Head plantation. Water was pumped from the spring with the help of two hydraulic ram pumps set slightly below ground level in a square building with a corrugated roof. A 1960 site visit suggests that around 6,500 gallons of water was able to be pumped per hour.

There are three sections of the site. I would imagine the oldest part of the site is the hydraulic ram house. Two large hydraulic rams supplied by John Blake Engineers Ltd are still in situ inside the building. The next part of the site is a long pump house building with one section containing a lovely Lister CS oil engine producing 5 horsepower. This powered a Climax No. 3 pump which I believe is of the reciprocating type. These Climax series pumps were manufactured by Worcester-based Thomas & Son Ltd.

82hyq3rDgFOJKNKKavIc9sHJ3706PQDc8HCp_1hbzlVvsXM6nw.png

g7osepgrcAf4jXBlBb_fAi66YTFlAD0wezvCOqTjUjfIqgFWuM.png

The engine room of the building is separated from the other section which contains the remains of what I think is a water wheel that would’ve powered the Climax pump before the later installation of the engine. To the far end of the building, there is a modern centrifugal pump which appears disused. Near to this pump is a couple of water tanks dated 1997 which suggests the pump house was in use perhaps into the 2000s. This part of the building is in a very dilapidated state due to a tree falling onto the roof but I love the mix of old and modern here.

The Explore
We initially did a quick evening recce of this pump house and a few others to see if they were still there before dedicating a day visiting and photographing them properly. This one was a bit of a pain in the arse to get to and was very boggy. On the first visit I forgot to bring wellies and sank in the mud a number of times and ruined my trainers. When revisiting during the day I made sure I remembered the wellies. On the way back we came across an easier way through the woods via a track leading close to the pump house, I assume this would’ve been used for vehicular access. We spent quite a while getting photos here as we had to do some interesting acrobatics around the equipment trying to get the angles we wanted, but it was worth it in the end!

Photos
Starting off with an external of the pump house followed by the hydraulic ram house:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I descended down into the ram house to start with and had to balance myself on the ladder and the tripod at the bottom, I don’t know how I managed to stay dry doing this!

4.jpg

I then noticed the nameplates were still attached to these pumps, but had to grab a long stick to take off some leaves that were covering the plate on the first pump:

5.jpg

Moving on to the main pump house itself, this is the room with the Lister engine and Climax pump:

6.jpg

7.jpg

7.1.jpg

A closer look at the engine:

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.1.jpg

Even though it was fairly dark inside, the light coming in from the right window worked quite well:

11.jpg

There were a few other bits and pieces lying around including some old cans of oil:

12.jpg

14.jpg

Moving onto the next section of the pump house. As mentioned at the beginning this was in poor condition due to the tree falling slap bang onto the roof. In the pic below you can see the remains of the old water wheel and how badly the roof has collapsed:

15.jpg

15.1.jpg

Just behind this was a lovely little sluice gate in addition to the modern electric pump complete with the two tanks:

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Some pipework which took water from the ram house into the pump house:

19.jpg

One more external before heading back:

IMG_6967-HDR.jpg

Thanks for looking!

tigger

mog
Regular User
Another great recording of the development of a small local water supply.
The 'keep out' on the inside of the door tickled me.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Fantastic stuff mate and thanks for the tip off. So glad I wore my wellies now like you suggested. But deffo worth the faff though to see this one.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Another great recording of the development of a small local water supply.
The 'keep out' on the inside of the door tickled me.
Thanks Tigger, I knew you would like this one, it has a great mix of old and new, and even the ram pumps alone were nice to see. Haha yeah I did not take any notice of the sign :rofl

Those photos came out crisp! As usual, yet to look at mine....
Cheers yeah I was happy with them in the end, ill see your pics in 6 months (or years) then :D

Fantastic stuff mate and thanks for the tip off. So glad I wore my wellies now like you suggested. But deffo worth the faff though to see this one.
Cheers mate and no worries. It is a nice rustic old place and local so I knew you would enjoy it! Yeah, wellies were definitely essential for this one haha.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The full spectrum of stuff in this one - nice. Was there anything left of the pump attached to the waterwheel?

Also, do you have a picture of the crank end (split casing with the wheel) of the reciprocating pump? I usually have difficulty in identifying these because a lot of makes look rather similar.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Top notch one this. Got to love the cabin in the woods look to it and the equipment is in great condition, some nice colours from the metal work there.

tigger

mog
Regular User
. But what is the nearest major river?

Location is in the title and the description contains more info if the title wasn't enough to identify the place to a few meters. From that you can very easily see which the nearest river is ..and though it's not exactly major there it would be considered so at the coast).
Intrigued why you'd want to know about the river though?

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's a lovely one, looks sort of like Purls Bridge in part but minus the horrific amount of spiders.
Yeah it is like a smaller scale version of Purls Bridge in a way. There are so many spiders and cobwebs there, didn't realise you had been!

The full spectrum of stuff in this one - nice. Was there anything left of the pump attached to the waterwheel?

Also, do you have a picture of the crank end (split casing with the wheel) of the reciprocating pump? I usually have difficulty in identifying these because a lot of makes look rather similar.
Cheers, no there didn't appear to be a pump as part of the waterwheel from what i could see unfortunately. I'll have a look through my photos to see if I have a pic of the crank end later on.

Lovely as usual guys. But what is the nearest major river?
Cheers, there is a small river running not far from the site but the pump house was supplied by a naturally occurring spring as opposed to river water itself.

Top notch one this. Got to love the cabin in the woods look to it and the equipment is in great condition, some nice colours from the metal work there.
Cheers mate, yeah I like how we were thinking the same thing about the cabin.

Beautifully captured!
Thanks!

That’s really nice. Fully enjoyed that report. Bang on snaps too. Thumbs up from me mate.
Thanks!

What a stunning little gem. Photos are beautiful. Lovely stuff :thumb
Thank you Jane! It's a lovely little pump house tucked away.

The Young One

need a better torch :/
28DL Full Member
Location is in the title and the description contains more info if the title wasn't enough to identify the place to a few meters. From that you can very easily see which the nearest river is ..and though it's not exactly major there it would be considered so at the coast).
Intrigued why you'd want to know about the river though?
I'm going up on holiday up there soon and I'm gonna spend a weekend exploring around Norfolk and this seems like a photogenic place.