real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Mine. Wiltshire 15/9/07 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Mine. Wiltshire 15/9/07

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Went to Box for the first time On Sunday. A big thanks to Root for showing us round and a big thanks for Exocet for driving down also thanks to rikj, madrab79, herbie for making it an enjoyable day.
I very much enjoyed and hope to go back down again.

Sorry for the pictures I did not have a adequate lighting.
Enjoy

DSCF1430R.jpg

DSCF1439R.jpg

DSCF1485R.jpg

DSCF1479R.jpg

DSCF1516R.jpg

DSCF1467R.jpg

DSCF1452R.jpg

Any one for Relentless and brandy?
DSCF1533R.jpg

rikj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Box Freestone Mine. Wiltshire 15/9/07 REPORT

Thanks to hammy for the trip. Also, thanks to pob, exocet, madrab and herbie for being the sort of people you'd want on a trip. No messing and everyone helping everyone else. Once in a lifetime trip for me, (though I might be tempted again!).

Don't want to hijack pob's thread but I'll put a couple of pics here rather than start a new thread. I was trying out a new light and a new camera so it was all a bit hit and miss. Completely messed up the Cathedral pics which was a shame.

I was surprised at how much of the rail system was still there.

1413815247_dd2b9d9a32.jpg

1413815261_e0696e8ee9.jpg

Final pic hopefully shows the size of the place. Not sure whether it is OK to post pics of all of the areas that aren't quite "public". So I won't.

1413815277_853d261439_b.jpg

Some of the photos are here:

Stone mine

And yes. It's big.

E

Exocet

Re: Box Freestone Mine. Wiltshire 15/9/07 REPORT

A few of my photos, mostly the usual stuff, perhaps one or two that aren't usually posted. I've already mentioned in other threads, but once again - Excellent trip, excellent people, brilliant place. Thanks to Root and the rest of the gang.

DSCN2521.jpg

Cathedral.

DSCN2528.jpg

Tom, enjoying a meal.

DSCN2532.jpg

A well.

DSCN2538.jpg

A crane, along with the ever elusive mine tripod. We tried to catch one, but alas they're too fast for us two legged humans.

DSCN2542.jpg

The same crane, looking towards the end working.

DSCN2545.jpg

Crab winch.

DSCN2553.jpg

6 foot saw!

DSCN2556.jpg

Looking up steps to the base of a shaft to the surface. MadRab's up there... Somewhere!

DSCN2558.jpg

At the top of the steps, the ladder to the surface. Not very stable these days!

DSCN2562.jpg

Looking back down the steps. Though it doesn't show in the photo, these are really steep.

DSCN2565.jpg

Slender forest. We didn't go here, honest.

DSCN2572.jpg

Finally, the robots, still partying away.

Cheers!