real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone Mine-Wiltshire. Jan 14 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone Mine-Wiltshire. Jan 14

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The devil child

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with FaZY, Kira, Reef, Els & Steve(it was good to meet you guys :thumb) I know this mine has been posted millions of times before but i had a wicked day and wanted to share it with you :) it started off with a phone call the day before from FaZy the day before asking if i wanted to explore box mine with him and a few other 28DL members and a couple of non members.Only having less than 24 hrs notice i never got to get my boots n waterproofs back off a mate and had to go in tracksuit bottoms and old worn out trainers with no grip (resulting in me nearly on my arse every 3 steps :D) we set off at about quarter past 7 as i held us up as i normally do :D When we got there we all met at the pub nearby and then set off to the mine, as we approached the entrance it suddenly dawned on me i was just about to get plastered and we hadn't even begun :eek: The 1st place we went to was cathedral which look epic like something out a film, it wasnt long before i was caked in mud and soaked my trainers sounded like i had 2 sloppy fish strapped to them :D even my DSLR also looked like it had been dragged through the mine arse backwards why did make me cry slightly but it did well and coped with all the water and mud so everything's good :thumb There is so much history on this place but this piece is from the local town council page so i will say its pretty accurate,

The ready availability of limestone in the Cotswolds had made it a convenient building material since at least Roman times. Corsham sits on the Greater Oolitic Seam which, since it extends in about a 20 mile radius of Bath, has been termed 'Bath Stone'. This stone differs from the Cotswold seams further north by having a lower ironstone content and therefore being lighter in colour. It is also less friable and so suitable for producing the dressed blocks of stone so common in the buildings of towns like Corsham and Bath.

Until the 19th century, the Corsham area had been quarried chiefly for local use. The construction of the Box Hill railway tunnel by the great engineer Brunel, however, brought the means of transporting stone easily further afield at the same time, coincidentally, as uncovering huge new deposits. So much stone was shipped from Corsham now that Bath Stone was sometimes also known as 'Corsham Stone'.

After the First World War, the expense of extracting stone and the development of cheaper building materials almost brought quarrying for Bath Stone to an end. With the renewed interest in conservation and building design sympathetic to its context, high quality limestone is again much in demand and quarries are being worked again, not only in the Corsham area, but also at Limpley Stoke near Bath. It is understood that stone is currently being extracted regularly from up to three different quarries in Corsham.

During the First and Second World Wars, abandoned underground stone quarries under Box Hill were used to store ammunition. In the 1950s part of the 35-acre Spring Quarry was developed as a Central Government War Headquarters site to which the government could retreat in the event of a nuclear strike. Code-named 'Burlington', the radiation-proof bunker 100 feet underground consists of a street with Whitehall ministries on each side and even included a pub called the Rose and Crown. Until recently the facility was maintained by a small staff.

DSC_0009-2.gif

View attachment 575090

View attachment 575092

View attachment 575093

View attachment 575095

View attachment 575097

View attachment 575098

View attachment 576163

View attachment 576164

View attachment 575100

View attachment 575103

View attachment 575104

View attachment 575106

View attachment 575107

View attachment 575109

View attachment 575111

View attachment 575113

View attachment 575114

View attachment 575116

View attachment 575117

View attachment 575119

View attachment 575121

If anyone in any pics objects to them being up just inbox me and i will take it down for you :thumb

What a day it was i enjoyed it :) thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
Re: Box Freestone Mine-Wiltshire. Jan14

You cannot visit Box and not check this out...

6525453589_ec03b189a4_b.jpg

;)