real time web analytics
Report - - Brinksway Air Raid Shelters - November 2017 | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brinksway Air Raid Shelters - November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I keep forgetting to come back to this, being a little distracted with writing letters to Matt Holmes and stuff ;)

Wonder what purpose these served in the war, might send our Matthew a message and get an expert's opinion

Well, he is the foremost authority on anything that pops into his head!

Damn, this is something I've never seen before. All the deep shelters I've seen are either lined with corrugated Iron or have hints of it. Was this even lined in it's day?

I think it may be because the shelters up here were carved into the sandstone!

Top snaps fella :thumb

Cheers dude.

Glad you got to see the solar powered gas lamps mate :thumb

I was very pleased I saw the lamps. So many of them about. I did also manage to see the wardens wheel too!

WardensWheel589ff.jpg

nicely done mate, good report as your norm :thumb

Cheers Urbanz.

I was sad to see that you didn't photoshop yourself in any of your pics in the traditional MH toileting pose. Otherwise, these are really great photos and nice writeup. (Having recently also stood in the same spot as the Facebook explorer I know it can be overwhelming, but you coped well....) ;-)

I thought I'd save that and do it in traditional Matthew Holmes style for somewhere I didn't actually explore - :D

Interesting report, and quality pics, thanks.
However I do not believe that the lamps have anything thing to do with gas, and probably nothing to do with solar either.

Cheers, Mike. Always nice to get a bit of history on a place from an expert, even if I did prompt you into offering your wisdom with a piss take of Mr Holmes.

The legs were possibly used to transport the gas solar lights into the tunnels

I honestly thought they were for touching while you knocked one out? :wanker

Garyjayuk

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I’ve been trying to get in these for years and can never find the entrance. Apart from those that are blocked on brinks and dodge.

The last time I went looking, I ended up in the caves of Brinksway talking to the homeless :-)

I know it’s not the done thing. But any pointers would be helpful?

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
I’ve been trying to get in these for years and can never find the entrance. Apart from those that are blocked on brinks and dodge.

The last time I went looking, I ended up in the caves of Brinksway talking to the homeless :-)

I know it’s not the done thing. But any pointers would be helpful?

The way in has been sealed up again after Matt Holmes decided to splatter it all over the internet along with a film of him going in

Dodge hill opens up periodically and all you have to do is walk over the footbridge near Lanky hill to check it

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Crikey, not been in there for a long time, even though it's a 2 min walk from mine!
That Matt Holmes really knows his stuff doesn't he :p
Great report dude!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Legz117fcaf.jpg

Great sharp shots here. Mint :D
Nice legs lol. Loving this report. The big shadow one is spooky , just how I like it lol.

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
The way in has been sealed up again after Matt Holmes decided to splatter it all over the internet along with a film of him going in

Dodge hill opens up periodically and all you have to do is walk over the footbridge near Lanky hill to check it

Is that recently PP? I was shown a video of some guy squirting access all over the curtains of FB a few weeks ago. Selfishly, I found it annoying. We passed it whilst heading up the hill to look at something else last weekend, we did wonder if any action had been taken to secure it.

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
Is that recently PP? I was shown a video of some guy squirting access all over the curtains of FB a few weeks ago. Selfishly, I found it annoying. We passed it whilst heading up the hill to look at something else last weekend, we did wonder if any action had been taken to secure it.

Everything was put back in it's place, and string was removed...I hear.

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Everything was put back in it's place, and string was removed...I hear.

There was something going on last week when I walked past for a mooch round the derp above it.. there were folk all vizzed up wandering around the woods and the substation..

FreshFingers

Choose life, choose tunnels
Regular User
If I could offer a bit more historical detail on this one - OS maps dating from 1848 vaguely show a depression or cutting leading from Brinksway, but it isn't until 1851 where buildings of some nature have appeared.

zkEwleB.jpg

From this point up until 1873, two rows of houses straddled the cobbled incline of Hunt Street.

SsMTdMd.jpg

The houses along Hunt Street just prior to the slum clearances in 1964.

3zomm5r.jpg