real time web analytics
Report - - Brinksway Caves - Stockport - July 12 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brinksway Caves - Stockport - July 12

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stopford_lad

foul-mouthed oaf
28DL Full Member
Brinksway Caves - Stockport

Carved into the sandstone above the river Mersey, these are known locally as 'Maggies' caves, and I'm sure many of the local members will have cut their teeth down here

The main section comprises of seven arches, and various nooks and crannies, they are thought to date back to 1670, purpose unknown.

Stockport Heritage recently surveyed the structure and concluded the road above is in need of better foundations, and that three small caves will have to be filled to support it better. These are away from the main row of seven caves.

It had been rumored that a family had been spotted living down here at the tail end of 2011, and I did find some evidence of children's toys, coloring books etc...a sad thought :(

Visited solo on the spur of the moment​

CAVEPANORAMA.jpg

CAVE1.jpg

Entrance to the main section
CAVE2.jpg

CAVE3.jpg

If you look carefully, you'll see that I had company in the form of the resident hobo...snoring away !
CAVE4.jpg

CAVE5.jpg

CAVE6.jpg

CAVE8.jpg

The red sandstone of the caves, set high above the river, and almost impossible to spot from the opposing bank
CAVE9.jpg

CAVE10.jpg

Hobo home defence ?

Thanks for looking :thumb

Nickindroy

A Porky Prime Cut
Regular User
They are still there mate, have been for a few hundred years now. I think people might get a bit pissed off if they tried!