real time web analytics
Brookwood Cemetery Surrey July 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Brookwood Cemetery Surrey July 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Went to Brookwood Cemetery today for a couple of hours, really need to spend an entire day there as we missed so much of it even tho I took well over 200 photos.

Encountered a grass snake sunning itself so if you go watch your step, There are also deer roaming round.

I saw someone in a long black cloak pass by the trees in front of me but they never materialised from the other side and no sign of them anywhere, even in the trees ‍♀

I won’t post pics i took of the newer graves, but they are equally beautiful in their fresh states as are the community masoleums.

HISTORY

Brookwood Cemetery was first opened in 1854, and at that time grew to be one of the largest cemeteries in the world.

Built by the London Necropolis Company to receive London's past residents, it is still one of the largest privately-owned burial grounds in Britain and one of the biggest operating cemeteries in Western Europe. Since 1854, over 240,000 people have been laid to rest within its beautiful grounds.

The cemetery comprises approximately 230 acres of burial ground, some of which have been set aside for the use of specific communities and denominations.

It has a substantial Victorian Section, which contains many remarkable Victorian memorials and graves. It also contains the largest military cemeteries in the country including the World War One American cemetery, the oldest Muslim cemetery and the unique Zoroastrian burial ground.

Last edited:

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Don’t agree with this sadly not really exploring in my view, I would personally re think your strategy try a crypt or something if that sort of thing is your style ,I am sure lots of advice will get passed on fair play for trying to get onto the ladder !

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Echo`d sadly , I see youve done an old church & Pains farm now those are exploring. Thanks for the research though, it must of taken time, so kudos for that.

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
thank you for your constructive comments and i mean that, it’s appreciated. i guessed coz it’s old it counts. i’ve done a few explores since the church and farm but didn’t think they were report worthy, i might post them up soon see what you think

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
Very interesting reoprt - it is grade I listed and Brookwood was originally accessible by rail from a dedicated station – The London Necropolis Railway Station – next to Waterloo station in Central London. Trains, with passenger carriages reserved for the different classes and Hearse Carriages for the coffins (also for different classes) came into the cemetery on its dedicated branch line from the adjoining South Western Main Line – a junction just to the west of Brookwood station.
The original London Necropolis station was relocated in 1902 but its successor was demolished after suffering bomb damage during World War II. There were two stations in the cemetery itself, one serving the non-conformist side (North) One serving the Anglican side (South). The southern platform still exists and is in the ownership of the St. Edward Brotherhood.
Today for visitors wishing to use the Railway Line, Brookwood station provides direct access into the Cemetery.
8-297x300.jpg
A short piece of track and a commemorative plaque serve as a reminder of the last journey of the deceased.

xtrmhiker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice photos. I adore cemeteries. Without cemeteries we would have nothing to explore. Everything would either still be occupied or torn down to create new domiciles.

princethorpe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cant really understand the complaints is this really that different to "car graveyards". (which I enjoy) Shows excellent masonary. I think we're big enough to accomodate a few diverse subjects. I enjoyed seeing the pictures but appreciate not everybodies cup of tea. Just skip the reports that dont interest

Last edited:

chills

Queller of the uprising
Good report with a nice amount of history and photos. I do agree this isn’t the sort of thing the site documents as it’s not technically abandoned but still, good effort and structure ready for the next!

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
an aside if i may after abuse off an idiot on facebook...i did not enter the tomb containing the cremation boxes. There was a window

one thing i wouldn’t never enter

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Cant really understand the complaints is this really that different to "car graveyards". (which I enjoy) Shows excellent masonary. I think we're big enough to accomodate a few diverse subjects. I enjoyed seeing the pictures but appreciate not everybodies cup of tea. Just skip the reports that dont interest

A publicly accessible cemetery cannot be compared to a publicly off limits collection of cars.

As others have said, decent but not really what this forum is about.

Who has read this thread (Total: 338) View details