real time web analytics
Report - - -Brown‘s Folly- mine February 2020 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - -Brown‘s Folly- mine February 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
Hello everyone I visited browns folly mine at the weekend with my best mate lee , Alex ,paddy malc, James ,Steve truly a very amazing place this was absolutely enjoyed every moment of it ,have done a lot of ironstone in my time but never a stone mine so this was a first and definitely not a last the air is much better quality in this compared to are ironstone over Huntingdonshire ,a lot more climing and crawling as well but this just added to the enjoyment of it ,the reason is in our ironstone
Mines their was no such thing as wastage, here they decided to make Fabulous walls out of it and change the ground working levels all over the place which is great fun for exploring! The navigation was great because of are excellent guide who made this easy and choose great routes to take ,so much worth seeing down their was around 4 half 5 hours ish to get about to see the stuff I saw which I am most greatful of being guided to ,this made a lovely change being able to be Part of a group and not as a pair, me and my mate have choose to keep it this way now after are many years of doing it just us two so special thanks to oort for making this happen and the rest of the team and Brian the caretaker for his hours looking after this place ! The other reports on here have so much more history than I no about this mine I shall not add any as my knowledge of this area does not compare to theirs here was my veiw Of the trip . Many thanks for reading , just would like to say never do mines on your own if not experienced read the guides on here.

Beautiful narrow gauge tramway heading into the distance

Another narrow gauge line with spectacular pillars

one of the best doorways I have seen for craftsman’s ship

A built in underground water storage possibly for the army ?

Stone wastage was 1000s of tones all over the place they backfilled finished areas with this adjusted floor heights everywhere Brian likes keeping it tidy

Another beautiful walkway

Original mining tally marks possibly for working out how much extracted per week for their payments

Original miners graffiti

Paddy showing the ferret box built into the wall I suspect possibly because of rats in a nearby picnic area ?

Drinking troughs assume for horses ?Oort would no am sure love how they carved the V in for the overflow into the next one etc

Hard water over countless years thanks for the light oort

Horse stables sorry for bad photo on this !

Another spectacular trough

With above looks like coral growing inside

The start of cartway

Mining graffiti of people amazing quality

Best graffiti have ever seen !

Another trough slowly covering up with hard water

In the distance a arch shape into another section of the mine

Remains of a old cart axels must of been salvaged

The finest doorway have ever seen think the apprentice done this

A close encounter with a 20ton stone

Alex Finding the next route with the caretaker we bumped into

The glow in the dark room a lovely touch to the place also a amazing lunch time stop area

Attachments

• 60C1F069-759C-4D1D-A66C-33872E7E4147.jpeg
    60C1F069-759C-4D1D-A66C-33872E7E4147.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Down and beyond

Regular User
We shall bring them mate definitely always up for learning that’s what it’s all about ,swan will be great to see as we’ll cannot wait hope their some crawling to do in their to get to the crane area !

Down and beyond

Regular User
Now that sounds great fun especially being called a letter box ,when we sat down in the Landrover top of legs went bang got a beer when back to are area god was a nice feeling after the 3 hour drive if we had of stayed would of ended up finding a b n b to stop in lol

Down and beyond

Regular User
Haha definitely would not want to be in a stone mine after a few stellas I wouldn’t, possibly a iron no wastage in them so minimal trip hazards unlike this one lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Really nice shots, glad you were accompanied by the best. This mine always looks so tranquil.
Oort should be an official guide as he helps so many explorers. :thumb

Down and beyond

Regular User
Thankyou , it is very nice inside a completely different feeling to what I am use to , he shall be coming my area at some point so be a change for him to see some new places but yes a great guide

Who has read this thread (Total: 197) View details