Web
Analytics
Report - - Bunker Storm Drain, Warrington - 26/09/10 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bunker Storm Drain, Warrington - 26/09/10

Millhouse

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Explored with Woodburner.

'Bunker' is a huge storm drain located in the Southern area of Warrington, taking overflow water from various rivers and carrying it underground to the outfall at the Manchester Ship Canal. Built in the 80's the system spans a length of around 3 miles. It is mainly constructed of large RCP of 5-8 ft. diameter, and incorporates various inspection chambers (some 3 storeys tall), a huge junction chamber, and massive steps which create a loud whooshing noise down the RCPs. Also there is an impressive swirl chamber towards the start of the drain with a large downfall pipe, to slow the energy of the incoming water and drop it to the drain below. There is also a sewer pipe running next to the drain, which runs inside the flat platforms you can see in some of the pipes, and there is a small CSO upstream of the centre of the system (where we entered). Fresh.

This was my first drain, cheers WB for showing me around! (And being self-selected lighting bitch due to lack of camera batteries :D)

IMG_3074.gif

The massive steps
IMG_3082.gif

IMG_3081.gif

Swirl chamber
IMG_3083.gif

Drop pipe
IMG_3088.gif

IMG_3091.gif

The mahole is 3 storeys up
IMG_3093.gif

IMG_3101.gif

Sewer pipe
IMG_3104.gif

Which runs inside the flat part of the pipe
IMG_3105.gif

IMG_3114.gif

Stalactite graffiti
IMG_3116.gif

Cue the lighting bitch ;)
IMG_3136.gif

Infall which leads to the RAEL chamber
IMG_3151.gif

Long pipes..
IMG_3152.gif

Eels and frogs
IMG_3161.gif

IMG_3163.gif

Here you can see the water being sucked in and out at the outfall
IMG_3157.gif

IMG_3158.gif

IMG_3159.gif

RAEL chamber
IMG_3164.gif

IMG_3167.gif

Cheers again WB! Re-visit needed to see the actual bunker at the outfall I think :)

Attachments

Last edited: