real time web analytics
Report - - Buxton & Hogshaw brook culverts , Buxton, august, 2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Buxton & Hogshaw brook culverts , Buxton, august, 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Have had this on my to do list for a couple of years so with an extended dry period and the bank holiday weekend i decided to get it cracked off arriving in buxton just before 9 i had no problems getting parked up in the sylvan car park then walking across Bakewell road and entering the river Wye just below the roundabout , having previously looked on maps i had a good idea were the open air sections and culverted parts were , the river at this point forks with one fork going under fairfield road what is the Hogshaw brook and the main flow the river wye going up to the town centre , gaining access in was easy although the roof height at this point was not very high

so far so good , well no ! not at all the culvert was deep chest height deep and fool here would not take no for an answer resulting in a wader breech and wet camera ! as much as i tried there was no way through so i had to bail out and re enter further upstream then work back to keep the pics in order !
looking back at were id tried to get in before it was seriously deep , oh well at least i diddnt quit moving on back upstream

not very tall but quite wide flat concrete roof looking downstream

view downstream, thousands of spiders on the roof with the low ceiling i had them crawling all over me !

shopping trolley pic as per standard

and then out in to the first open air section

moving on upstream now the start of a small culverted section it wasnt very long so have not bothered with any pics here as you can see through it

moving on sharpish as it was starting to get a bit busier the culvert then opened up again at the side of the springs shopping centre before going back underground again

no stooping here was very roomy modern concrete roof and stone caged sides , picture quality suffering a bit that unplanned dunking at the start did me no favours !

change in styles to older type construction ,looks like an old bridge in the blue bricks

start of an even older stone arch section could feel the water getting deeper here and the roof height lowering , also could hear gushing water ahead

having been for a dip earlier it took all my dexterity not to repeat the performance again , problem was it was waist deep and you could not see the bottom so had to go really carefully here

change in styles a really low almost flat arch roof with stone sides, the water here was waist deep and quite silty on the bottom progress was slow through this section ( bloody crazy hobby this draining )

return to stone arch and only thigh deep now thank god , lots of little drainage tunnels spurring of

light at the end of the tunnel getting shallower as well

nearly out , then looking back downstream this last section was the best bit

exit or infall , that was hard work after heavy rainfall it would be down right dangerous to even attempt this one ! climbing up the bank i exited no problem was at the side of the opera house at the end of the Pavillion gardens ,after walking back to my start point i decided to have a quick gander at the fork in the river the Hogshaw brook , The hogshaw brook merges with the Nun brook and then enters in to the river wye just in front of the weatherspoons ( always handy to know breakfast was great ) entering here was no problem but it had become very busy as the town had woken up, the first part is nothing more than a river walk and as the culvert is on private land i kept my head down approaching the first small culvert

nice stone arched section it then opened up again before a small concrete section

moving on through this i then found a hedgehog stranded on a rock in the middle of the culvert after helping the poor thing out on to the grass bank i carried on upstream

start of main culvert then looking back

looking upstream end in sight already

then looking back

thats it i climbed out were lightwood road meets brooklands and lightwood avenue no problem exiting . The area suffered quite bad damage to the surrounding properties and the culvert itself when it flooded around the 10th of august 2019 thankfully it was ok today well thanks for watching and see you all soon

Last edited:

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
Good stuffs, I tried following this from spring gardens to where you climbed out and got wet a few times, it's pretty deceptive in parts

There's quite a few spots around Buxton

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good stuffs, I tried following this from spring gardens to where you climbed out and got wet a few times, it's pretty deceptive in parts

There's quite a few spots around Buxton
yes i thought it would be a walk in the park it was a tuff one ! very deep in places i did consider bailing out in the low red brick arch section

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good job, looks really stoopy. Lovely changes in build. Liking the red to blue, stones & flags to gabion. Really nicely built.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
couldnt have just walked past would not have been able to live with myself
I did the same on an explore of the old machinist house, the little thing was on the path, so I picked him up and juggled him across the back grass to the tree line. Hands hurt before I even explored lol

Lord Rochester's Monkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cracking report. Me and a mate tried the one from Ashwood Park a couple of years ago and it was an embarrassing failure, you've got a lot more perseverance than we did!

FalloutShelter

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I've not done any drains yet but I'll be honest, one of the best thing about mines and caves = the spiders are only at the entrances.

Who has read this thread (Total: 218) View details