real time web analytics
Report - - Bwlch leadmine Cage lifts (unfinished business) Wales, April 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bwlch leadmine Cage lifts (unfinished business) Wales, April 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
After visiting this lovely mine about a year ago with landsker, we were sick to discover that the cage lifts that we really wanted to see were about 120ft below our feet and only accessible by dropping down shonky ladders and abseiling the last 65ft...fast forward nearly a year and we were back with the clobber and basic skills to get the job done.
Visited with Landsker and Lenston, thanks to Spungletrumpet for some good info too.

my original report is here http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/mines-quarries/81144-bwlch-glas-lead-mine-wales-june-2013-a.html

some history

Lead Mining started at Bwlch Glas started during the 1880's when a level was excavated to intercept two parallel veins of ore, which outcropped further up the hill. Serious production at the mine didn't start until 1909, when an impressive processing mill was constructed and other levels opened. The Scottish Cardigan Lead Mining Company Ltd. finally closed the mine in 1923, having worked there on a fairly intermittent basis for a number of years.

After much contemplation at the top of the drop and eating of morrisons steak slices we decided that we were going to see these cages.

top of the ladders, at the bottom of this is the 65ft clear drop down to the cages
35042219251_4fa46396ca_c.jpg

Immediately you see this fantastic stope and you kind of forget about the climb back up for a while.
35042220951_5a41c9ff56_c.jpg

Then you catch sight of the cages
35007826262_f227c74cce_c.jpg

What a sight, these cages are really awesome, the gates above the cages would drop down to secure the occupants
35042217761_1ba829313d_c.jpg

View attachment 735036

next level ladies underwear, going down:)
35172791085_c5145828c5_c.jpg

Check the old light fitting
35132868826_f823a2fcab_c.jpg

from the rear of the cage lifts
35042222071_dc51d5902a_c.jpg

thanks for looking

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: Bwylch leadmine Cage lifts (unfinished business) Wales, April 2014

Cracking stuff, the SRT finish you off :p:

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member

Nice one, duck! Wondered if you were still on it! :thumb

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User

Nice shots there mate and well worth the effort, I was Knackered from just pulling the bags up !! Great day up there though :thumb

Last edited:

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member

Good stuff, enjoyed reading that :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User

Thanks for commenting Peoples, Lenston what a cracking day out :)

Nice one, duck! Wondered if you were still on it! :thumb

Yes Dave still on it or trying anyway....when you are ready man :thumb

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks for the comments folks..Spungletrumpet, good info about the electron and the overhang cheers for that :)

urbanity

28dl flâneur
28DL Full Member
Nice one. When you first clap eyes on the cages it's a proper moment. Surprised you didn't back light the fuck out of them. One urbecks point deleted ;)

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one. When you first clap eyes on the cages it's a proper moment. Surprised you didn't back light the fuck out of them. One urbecks point deleted ;)

Yep nearly did a little sex wee when I first saw them...tried and failed on the backlighting , blurriness and misting up lenses won :)