real time web analytics
Report - - Carmel College, Oxfordshire - June 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carmel College, Oxfordshire - June 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

D

Darkdays

Got a tip from a well oiled friend who works in demolitions about an old school near Oxford. Being the intrepid explorer, as always, I almost peed my panties to get down there.

Took an hour and a half on the M40 to reach this great little abandoned gem. The site it huge and could do with much more exploring than we had time for but beware, the site is lived on by a couple of people working for the development company.

We managed to get our way into the dinning area and kitchen, the main classrooms and luckily the swimming pool, but there is a mass of other buildings that are waiting to be uncovered, especially the science and D&T wing and the mansion house. Juicy!

Here's a little history from Wiki:

The school was founded in 1948 by the late Kopul Rosen and closed in June 1997 due to bad management, diminishing pupil numbers and financial difficulties. The school grounds were sold to property developers for an undisclosed fee in 1997, however, the sale was overturned by the Charities Commission following significant pressure from parents and former students who claimed the land was undersold. The distinctive concrete synagogue, dining hall, and amphitheatre, designed by local architect Thomas Hancock, are Grade II listed buildings; the Julius Gottlieb gallery and boathouse, designed by Sir Basil Spence, is Grade II* listed.

The Mansion House was an old manor house with particular significance. Agatha Christie (who lived nearby in Wallingford) used it as the basis for the mansion in "Mouse Trap". It was also the site for the briefing for the "bouncing bombs" raids of Operation Chastise.[1] - which left from nearby RAF Benson.

Hope you enjoy the pictures:

DSC_0225edit.jpg

DSC_0529edit.jpg

DSC_0561edit.jpg

DSC_0602edit.jpg

DSC_0373edit.jpg

DSC_0549edit.jpg

DSC_0477edit.jpg

DSC_0447edit.jpg

DSC_0417edit.jpg

DSC_0410edit.jpg

DSC_0644edit.jpg