real time web analytics
Report - - Central Docks (Liverpool, 2018) | Industrial Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Central Docks (Liverpool, 2018)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see one of the dock gates still exists. I've always bed fascinated by the gates slotting away into their stone turrets!
Seems you answered a question I wanted to ask.
Are you talking about this?
-
to be put in here ?
-
P1310745.JPG

..... the gates slotting away into their stone turrets!
did they slip through the turrets ?

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Seems you answered a question I wanted to ask.
Are you talking about this?
-
to be put in here ?
-
P1310745.JPG

did they slip through the turrets ?

Yes, that's an old picture of the north-east corner of the tobacco warehouse compound - looks different now the northern warehouse is a hotel.

One of the old gates is still there at the south-east corner (there's a pic here https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threa...uses-revisited-liverpool-aug-dec-2018.115834/).

If you look on satellite view, both of the southern corners are truncated to allow space for the gates to slide back.

There are now some modern reproductions of these gates further along the dock road (entrances to Bramley-Moore and Wellington Docks) - don't know if they slide though.

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I live more than 1000 miles away, but I walked these streets in 2013, so these reports are double interesting for me.
I found interesting details like this, keeping the bridge in position when moving:
-
On old map I found the Leeds-Liverpool Canal crossing over Waterloo Tunnel
https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/ol...f-liverpool-north-sheet-1890/#4/57.14/-121.01
I think the ground here should be all sandstone, so the new Everton Stadium should not sink in the mud

P1310768.JPG

Archaic_paradigm

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wow fantastic pics and information here.
All this industrial history of the original Port of Liverpool should be preserved by the Maritime museum.
The possible move of Everton to Bramley Moore dock is madness.

Surely they could design an alternative plan for this site that keeps the old docks from being filled in. Such a shame!

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Surely they could design an alternative plan for this site that keeps the old docks from being filled in. Such a shame!

Well its prime real estate, owned by Peel, and they're unlikely to turn it into a seaside park or something - there's already a marina and another watersports place further south. A football stadium seems as good a use as any for part of the land.

Who has read this thread (Total: 381) View details