real time web analytics
Report - - Ceulan (Heron) Mill - Talybont - Aug 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ceulan (Heron) Mill - Talybont - Aug 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Whilst holidaying with the family in Wales i had strategically included a couple of days in the Ceredigion area, specifically to check this place out that had been right up the top of the list since i first saw it.
Every report I've seen since has has made me want it more, so it was finally nice to see it for myself, perhaps nice doesn't do it justice, i loved this place :D
It's got lovely rusty colours, nice light and a real sense of history due to the amount of things left largely untouched for 50 years.

(History taken from Zero81 excellent report)

Ceulan Mill, Ceredigion

Ceulan Mill was built in 1847 by the Morris family and produced flannel and cloth which was sent to markets across Wales and Great Britain.

The mill was also a significant local employer and later became the first supplier of power to the local village, which was the first in in the county to have electricity. The parish council paid £10.00 per annum for street lighting and houses were charged 5 shillings for one 60W lamp which then cost a further seven shillings and sixpence for 3 months electricity supply.

Mr Morris turned off the power at 10.30pm each night believing that that was quite late enough for anyone to be awake. During the Second World War demand for flannel products fell and despite diversification into new products and the opening of a shop on the first floor, the mill went into decline, finally closing in 1962.

Unfortunately, attempts to donate the property to the National Trust for preservation were unsuccessful as the owner was unable to provide a share of the funding and the mill was abandoned.

Picture overload........ :)

CeulanMillr.jpg

CeulanMill-2-2r.jpg
CeulanMill-3-2r.jpg
CeulanMill-32r.jpg

CeulanMill-20r.jpg

CeulanMill-2r.jpg

CeulanMill-3r.jpg

CeulanMill-12r.jpg

CeulanMill-5r.jpg

CeulanMill-7r.jpg
CeulanMill-26r.jpg