real time web analytics
Report - - Chernobyl, Zone & Pripyat Sept 2010 - Part 2 - Chernobyl Town & Moscow Eye | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Chernobyl, Zone & Pripyat Sept 2010 - Part 2 - Chernobyl Town & Moscow Eye

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ric

темний Прип'ять
28DL Full Member
Part 2 - Chernobyl Town & Moscow Eye

I was surprised with the town of Chernobyl, a lot of people forget that Chernobyl isn't the plant itself but the town slightly to the south.

Due to winds when the explosion occurred Chernobyl Town escaped most of the contamination, however, most people still decided to leave.

However there are quite a few people still living here, there are quite a few shops, places to eat as well as many recreational places

DSC_0203.jpg

Monument for the firefighter which died after the explosion

Shortly after the accident, firefighters arrived to try to extinguish the fires. First on the scene was a Chernobyl Power Station firefighter brigade under the command of Lieutenant Volodymyr Pravik, who died on 9 May 1986 of acute radiation sickness. They were not told how dangerously radioactive the smoke and the debris were, and may not even have known that the accident was anything more than a regular electrical fire: "We didn't know it was the reactor. No one had told us."

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0214.jpg

A monument in Chernobyl town, i'm unaware what its representing unfortunately

DSC_0215.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0221.jpg

Some of the vehicles used in the evacuation and movement of troops during the disaster, placed as a monument in Chernobyl Town

DSC_0264.jpg

Nature has taken over in Chernobyl Town, there are endless roads like this, houses peeking through the trees which have engulfed them over the last 25 years

DSC_0226.jpg

A water pump in one of the houses

DSC_0258.jpg

Scales in an old green grocers

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Undisturbed items in a old porterhouse

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

I actually nearly walked into this gas mask, it didn't half scare the crap out of me

DSC_0272.jpg

A cache of gas masks in a house

DSC_0299.jpg

Moscow Eye:

Information is sketchy on this place, its basically a massive secret radar/radio antenna based well within the red forest.

Our guide had managed to get us unheard access within the compound of the army base, but when we arrived due to the size of our group they declined, therefore only pictures of the outside! :(

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

Next up, Post 3 - Pripyat

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details