real time web analytics
Question - - Chernobyl | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Chernobyl

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WarFlower

Ink collector | Coffee addict | Book worm
28DL Full Member
Wondering if anyone on here has been to Chernobyl. Looking at going soon, but I’ll be a female single traveller (unless one of you want to join me!!)
Just wondering how safe Ukraine is and anything I need to know?

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Check out the forums quite a few have visited they would be best ones to ask with regards to your safety they will be able to tell you the best guides to use without being ripped off happy hunting.

amfalconer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, it's quite safe, pick a reputable tour company - there are a few out there - I used SoloEast, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'd advise against going alone, as you'll probably find it a bit boring, there were a variety of different nationals on our tour, and not too many were terribly chatty, and it's a long day.

Kiev, where you'll most likely stay was fine, and incredibly cheap! we didn't encounter any trouble, other than the usual beggars, but then we were 3 strapping lads - We stayed at KievInn, just up the hill from Independence Square, and abut 1 min's walk from the tour departure spot.

Id recommend it to anyone, hands-down one of the best places I've been.

WarFlower

28DL Full Member
Yes, it's quite safe, pick a reputable tour company - there are a few out there - I used SoloEast, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I'd advise against going alone, as you'll probably find it a bit boring, there were a variety of different nationals on our tour, and not too many were terribly chatty, and it's a long day.

Kiev, where you'll most likely stay was fine, and incredibly cheap! we didn't encounter any trouble, other than the usual beggars, but then we were 3 strapping lads - We stayed at KievInn, just up the hill from Independence Square, and abut 1 min's walk from the tour departure spot.

Id recommend it to anyone, hands-down one of the best places I've been.
I best get persuading someone to come with me then haha!
Huge thanks for all your tips!!

amfalconer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also worth noting is choose the time of year well - we went in late summer, and it was nice and warm, the trees and plants were in full flow, winter would be extremely photogenic, but most likely bloody cold!

Depending when you want to go, I could be up for another trip -you're not a million miles away from me!

mrmatt

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wondering if anyone on here has been to Chernobyl. Looking at going soon, but I’ll be a female single traveller (unless one of you want to join me!!)
Just wondering how safe Ukraine is and anything I need to know?

Went there last year in September. Organised it with chernobylwel.com. Strongly recommend a PRIVATE TOUR, else you'll end up on a minibus with 12 other people, stopping in the same places, same duration and competing for photos of the same thing! Private tour is obviously much more expensive but I'd recommend it any day. Saw plenty of mini-bus tours and was VERY HAPPY not to be on them!
For me, arrived at airport, the hotel (fire inn hotel) organised a taxi from the airport. Next day, chernobylwel.com organised to be picked up outside the hotel, then onward to Chernobyl and Pripyat.
Duga radar is worth a visit INCLUDING the control building behind it (with a private tour, you can go where you want, public tour, you have to keep to a timetable!). See my youtube channel called mrmattandmrchay - I did many videos inc the duga radar.
Depends what you want out of the tour, the guides were very knowledgeable, but when I went there I tried to keep off the usual tourist trail.
Ukraine I suppose is like any other city. Plenty of beggars in areas, but as long as you keep to the main pathways we didn't have any problems and we did a lot of looking around when we got back from Chernobyl.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Matt

WarFlower

28DL Full Member
Went there last year in September. Organised it with chernobylwel.com. Strongly recommend a PRIVATE TOUR, else you'll end up on a minibus with 12 other people, stopping in the same places, same duration and competing for photos of the same thing! Private tour is obviously much more expensive but I'd recommend it any day. Saw plenty of mini-bus tours and was VERY HAPPY not to be on them!
For me, arrived at airport, the hotel (fire inn hotel) organised a taxi from the airport. Next day, chernobylwel.com organised to be picked up outside the hotel, then onward to Chernobyl and Pripyat.
Duga radar is worth a visit INCLUDING the control building behind it (with a private tour, you can go where you want, public tour, you have to keep to a timetable!). See my youtube channel called mrmattandmrchay - I did many videos inc the duga radar.
Depends what you want out of the tour, the guides were very knowledgeable, but when I went there I tried to keep off the usual tourist trail.
Ukraine I suppose is like any other city. Plenty of beggars in areas, but as long as you keep to the main pathways we didn't have any problems and we did a lot of looking around when we got back from Chernobyl.
Let me know if you have any specific questions.
Matt
You’re amazing, Thankyou so much! I was thinking about a private tour. It’s just finding a good group of people to go with- thus sadly my friends are against going. I may see if there are forums for people who want to go on a private tour and are looking for more numbers!

LeeOAW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive been 5 times and certainly worth it, Soloeast and Chernobylwel.com are good. If you want to go private that I can highly recommend a friend of ours thats a authorised guide . Your get decent prices too but more people the cheaper the price.

Go with an English tour group if you do go on your own, we have seen many solo travellers, mostly female too

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I've used Soloeast a few times without fault, good company. It may have been the guide we used called Misha which added to the experience. He has now set up his own company called Chernobylme, and I'd highly recommend him as a guide.

Here's a link to his website which also includes prices, he's on Facebook and speaks very good English. http://chernobylme.com/

CJMooch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Might sound dumb here I would also like to do this trip but is it safe ? Ie radiation levels.

Jeremy wade did this on monster fish I think the birds in the area had a very very short life and the fish were mutating into other alters.

Not trying to put anyone off but to ask cos I want to go it myself.

Dunno

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Might sound dumb here I would also like to do this trip but is it safe ? Ie radiation levels.
Dunno

Very Safe these days.

Part of my work I do industrial radiography, this uses a radioactive isotope. Usually Iridium 192 with a source strength of between 5 and 12 curie's.

At my barriers I'm allowed 7.5 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour and any member of the public could work all day there without it being a problem. I'm allowed 20 µSv (Microsieverts in a shift. If I put our meter next to our source when it's in it's protective housing it's not uncommon to see readings of around 220 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour which is stilled deemed safe as that's where we handle it.

Most of the time around Chernobyl we were seeing readings of 0.2 µSv (Microsieverts) and hour, odd area where it was around 2 or 3 µSv (Microsieverts) and had to actively be shown areas where the readings were higher by the guide, 80 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour was the highest I saw which is significantly less than what I get exposed to at work in the UK while working to the strict guidelines. After all safety is paramount ;)

Chernobyl.JPG

CJMooch

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Very Safe these days.

Part of my work I do industrial radiography, this uses a radioactive isotope. Usually Iridium 192 with a source strength of between 5 and 12 curie's.

At my barriers I'm allowed 7.5 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour and any member of the public could work all day there without it being a problem. I'm allowed 20 µSv (Microsieverts in a shift. If I put our meter next to our source when it's in it's protective housing it's not uncommon to see readings of around 220 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour which is stilled deemed safe as that's where we handle it.

Most of the time around Chernobyl we were seeing readings of 0.2 µSv (Microsieverts) and hour, odd area where it was around 2 or 3 µSv (Microsieverts) and had to actively be shown areas where the readings were higher by the guide, 80 µSv (Microsieverts) an hour was the highest I saw which is significantly less than what I get exposed to at work in the UK while working to the strict guidelines. After all safety is paramount ;)

Chernobyl.JPG
Wow thank you for a in-depth reply, too be honest the figure data us beyond my knowledge, I really want to do this trip as a new 'wonderet" I will go on a guided tour.

I want to go to Auschwitz but I don't want or think cameras are a good idea or if u could emotionally take ant pictures.

Guess it's a balance (shit hole humanity at its worst 'jurmanity' horrific)

The world will k8ll itself, were primitive...