real time web analytics
Report - - City Tower, Manchester Piccadilly, April 2010 | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - City Tower, Manchester Piccadilly, April 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
City Tower, Piccadilly Manchester - Visited by Ojay.

roof4.jpg

I have had my eye on this place for some time, and after 1 failed attempt I decided to give it another go, I suppose where there's a will there's a way and after already having a close encounter with security this week I wasn't going to hang around either.

The amount of masts etc up there sure worried me, the thought of being stood inside a giant microwave :eek:

With that in mind I took a few pictures and got down just as quick.

Some facts:

City Tower, (formerly known as the Sunley Building) is a 30 storey office block situated at Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester. It is currently the third tallest building in Manchester, with the highest office space currently available in Manchester (City Tower is expected to fall to eighth tallest building by 2012), standing 107 m (351 ft) tall. City tower was completed in 1965, the Plaza complex having been constructed by the developers Bernard Sunley and designed by Covell, Matthews & Partners. Now home to Bruntwood and a dozen other businesses.

Bruntwood.jpg

It has entrances onto York Street renamed in 2008 New York Street and Piccadilly Gardens. Over the years, the tower became increasingly run down and as a result many tenants left. A refurbishment programme was drawn up in the late 1990s, but this was never realised until property company Bruntwood purchased Piccadilly Plaza for £65 million in 2004. This plan is complete, with a new central ground floor entrance. The next phase involved repainting and fitting an atrium to the sides of the tower. An advertising screen has been erected showing full motion video clips to passers by in the gardens.

The tower is one of Manchester's main broadcast transmission sites, hosting the antennas of local radio stations XFM, Rock Radio and Galaxy on FM as well as digital radio multiplexes Digital One, BBC, MXR North West and CE Manchester.

The penthouse floor (floor 28) is different to all the other floors in the building as it originally had a walkway around the perimeter. When Bruntwood acquired the City Tower it was removed.

Lift.jpg

Some of the iconic buildings and views of Manchester, which need introductions

tiltshift.jpg

Arndale.jpg

Deansgate.jpg

Sachas.jpg

Pica.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details