real time web analytics
Report - - CO-OP dept store, Nee Failsworth Industrial Society, Manchester. July 17 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - CO-OP dept store, Nee Failsworth Industrial Society, Manchester. July 17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
OT, Ojay and I spent a good hour raking round this place before fun and games in the river. One of those epic looking derelict buildings you just have to go and have a poke around in, even though you know it will probably be a fetid pit. Victorian buildings that have sections sat empty for 20 - 30 years are getting thin on the ground these days... one has to seize these places as and when they crop up!

To be fair the upper floors (which I'm pretty sure would have been the ballroom) was an impressive space despite the state of the building in general. Huge shaped beams, plaster-work and even original fretwork air vents remain in situ. Sadly the tower has been raped and pillaged of it's lead and access was ridiculous for little gain.

In the main body of the shop we did see a few note-worthy features, my favorite of which was the elaborate tile-work in one of the ground floor sections.

All in all a good hour of mooching...

85f775c0972032be4b9bf1823a49c5f6.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

The paneling looks "original", but is obviously a later addition as glazed brick lurks behind it.
DSC_0109.jpg

Some of the beautiful tilework... and how fit ducting in the most un-sympathetic fashion imaginable!
DSC_0110.jpg

Mmmmmm.....
DSC_0111.jpg

Lovely, and HUGE dresser. Note the shadow on the tiles behind. That bad boy has stood in that very spot for a long, long time.
DSC_0114.jpg

I'm guessing here, but I recon that tank was a later addition. Probably the most lavish oil tank room in Britain!
DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

Not sure if that is the original beams, or a Bi-plane has crashed into the roof at some point! Note the ornate wooden vent in the top right of the photograph.
DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

The ballroom ceiling... quite a sight even in its current state.
DSC_0132.jpg

Gas lamp knuckle
DSC_0134.jpg

There seemed to be a LOT of toilets in this place... every door, staircase and turn seemed to lead to another khazi!
DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

Tower
DSC_0143.jpg

Some of the dated tat that had fallen through the ceiling
DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

Beautiful deco "ghost sign"
DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

The 1930's extension to the building, which had obviously been an impressive space in it's day with it's huge ceiling. There were also scars from the removal of frescos on the wall.
DSC_0172.jpg

The sad relic of a tower. Hopefully it can be restored (Replaced I'd guess) when the conversion into flats gets underway, Note the "access holes" punched in the woodwork to get the lead from various heights of the tower! Mad buggers!
20170702_131345_resized.jpg

Beautiful tiles just buried in the dirt where an adjoining portion of the building has already been demolished. Barbarians!
DSC_0182.jpg

Last edited:

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If only we'd been in here 20 years earlier, was definitely worth a look in as done a few of these co-op buildings now and there is always something worthwhile lurking

The_Raw

Staff member
Despite the state of it I love places with remnants of former glory like this. That ballroom ceiling is pretty epic :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
It was a good explore actually. Not so much for what was exactly there in plain sight, but for the searching out the potential of the place. The top floor was huge, the ghost sign to it was a nice find.

In summary though, trashed beyond belief, but worth a trip for sure.

Ste_B

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
MIght nip over tomorrow and fly the drone over and see if there's still a way in.. anyone interested then give me a shout