real time web analytics
Report - - Conditioning House Bradford. February 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Conditioning House Bradford. February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bradford Conditioning House was built by the local Bradford Corporation, following a special act of Parliament to quality check & control the moisture content of Wool, by means of laboratory examination and certify their true weight and length following inconsistent variations throughout the industry.
The purpose built building was designed by F Wild who died in 1901 and unfortunately never saw his plans come to completion. It was the only such one of its kind in this country.
The structure was erected over four-storeys and basement around 3 sides of an open court and opened in 1902
The Grade II-listed building (granted on the 9th of August 1983) lies forgotten & derelict since it closed in the late 80’s. In 1990, there were plans to transform the building into a hotel and conference centre. Six years on, permission was granted to convert it into commercial offices but nothing has happened up to the present time, apart from continuing it"s steady demise from the elements :( Present owners Caddick Developments had proposed turning the building into Waterside Apartments by extending the Canal at Shipley & continuing it into Bradford, with it actually running between the 2 sides of the building. Due too the economic down-turn these plans never came to fruition and it lies rotting & up for sale, with huge banners (see Pic) hoping someone with a few £Million will appear.

Anyone that"s visited here over the years has i"m sure, gained considerable insight into the many forms of Rot that affects Wood and it"s lack of ability once so affected too support an adults weight :eek: I think this must be high up on the list of "Most Rotten Building" that"s actually still standing ....for now.

Anyhow, after having a drive around Bradford checking on a few sites in the rain, i thought why attempt to try & kill myself & what better way too go to Hell than through the "Conditioning House" floor (sorry A-R Fan Club members, i survived)
I can honestly say it"s the only site i"ve done in Bradford where i"ve not had to worry about "Druggies" or wading through 6" of needles & associated drugs crap! TBH they"re the last things you worry about inside here, constantly thinking that your"e about to take the express elevator down a few floors without warning ;) Very reminiscent of Denbigh Asylum with floating floor only held up with Cobwebs.

If it wasn"t for the fear of falling through it would have been a relaxed mooch about, but even though i only managed to go through the flooring twice it was enough too ruin the experience slightly :)
Unfortunately the building was cleared of most things years ago (i was hoping to come across an old rusty bed, but luck wasn"t on my side) so you"re limited pics wise i suppose, with the majority of interesting bits being in the lower levels in the darkness (not that i don"t find the top half interesting, because i do) so everything had to be lit up as you would expect (hence the weird coloration)

You visit some places with signs up for Alarms/Dogs/Secca etc etc and you wonder if they"re telling the truth. This building has vivid warning signs all around the outside and throughout the building at every turn, warning of dangerous floors. For once you can accept that they are indeed telling the truth. It"s just hard to work out what sections that have warning tape you"re supposed to actually avoid :D

Hope it"s not too pic heavy ? And as always thanks for looking :thumb

And for those that think i"m the biggest Dick since Dick Turpin rode around Yorkshire, why are you even reading my posts :confused: .........yet again :Not Worthy Joking aside, enjoy

24335755624_79f1ab5d77_c.jpg

24670883800_0cc8af09de_c.jpg

24339526423_2bfacdb81f_c.jpg

24848387732_5b6d535bcd_c.jpg

24670880980_e510d13a56_c.jpg

24873054791_c3d2519ff9_c.jpg

24966372345_31690bc1d6_c.jpg

24848384462_b0a1ed178f_c.jpg

24848367702_5e74f7c79a_c.jpg

24940063156_ff50584b98_c.jpg

24873050871_a3bdcc47dc_c.jpg

24335770844_99d5660541_c.jpg

24940060906_b519aaa38f_c.jpg

24848380622_08870d421c_c.jpg

24940047266_8fe722a8ee_c.jpg

24966368795_8522df89b7_c.jpg

24873048191_1840d2210d_c.jpg

24940058236_97605735c4_c.jpg

24940059396_b55c012665_c.jpg

24873046271_d316905c5e_c.jpg

24940057316_33bc8106a4_c.jpg

24848376182_b0f42edace_c.jpg

24848375412_a917c46057_c.jpg

24335762344_77dce040b6_c.jpg

24873037881_ee1e0debb8_c.jpg

24598731449_e418231ba5_c.jpg

24335763744_aea1be9bc5_c.jpg

Last edited:

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spectacular shots as always mate, enjoyed your report a lot.

Good to hear you survived :thumb

I wouldn"t go that far mate but thanks for the compliment, the Cheques in the post :D

If i wasn"t so tired i"d add some info in-between the pics, but hey-ho try and let the pics do all the work ;)

I"m sure i know a few don"t won"t be so glad i survived, but i ignore them anyway (and their posts):p

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
I wouldn"t go that far mate but thanks for the compliment, the Cheques in the post :D

If i wasn"t so tired i"d add some info in-between the pics, but hey-ho try and let the pics do all the work ;)

I"m sure i know a few don"t won"t be so glad i survived, but i ignore them anyway (and their posts):p

Haha. Thanks mate, make sure you get the address right this time, I'm still waiting on the last couple :D

Nah, it's a good report and you put some history in which some people can't be bothered with these days. :thumb

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
I don't wish you dead. I do sometimes wish you'd just give it a rest with your constant passive aggressive posts, like.

I like the look of those workshops and company name tags. There's one cool relic of a sign salvaged from here hiding in an active dyeworks in Holmfirth we spotted over the summer.

Take it easy, stay safe.

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report that mate, sounds a bit of a dangerous one though :)

Love that last pic by the way :)

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely pics nice to see here again even though its mainly empty you managed to make it look good which is never a bad thing. I love Bradfords mills and regularly wander into them more often than not you see something you didnt see before.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't wish you dead. I do sometimes wish you'd just give it a rest with your constant passive aggressive posts, like.

I like the look of those workshops and company name tags. There's one cool relic of a sign salvaged from here hiding in an active dyeworks in Holmfirth we spotted over the summer.

Take it easy, stay safe.

Yeah the best bit"s are in the basement area.TBH i was surprised anything had survived going off the upper levels.

Always taking it easy, as for the safe bit ;)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report that mate, sounds a bit of a dangerous one though :)

Love that last pic by the way :)

Cheers mate :thumb Even as far back as 2007 in the old reports, members were commenting on the state of the floors and 9 years on it"s certainly not improved one bit. The funny moment for me was walking over some loose planks over the floor you could see straight through & thinking it"d spread my weight only to look down and see the wood compress like a sponge as my foot followed through :D

& it"s the classic Money shot from here i think (pity about the blown out sky)

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely pics nice to see here again even though its mainly empty you managed to make it look good which is never a bad thing. I love Bradfords mills and regularly wander into them more often than not you see something you didnt see before.

Cheers dave :thumb

Yeah i"ve spent many an hour in Bradford Mills but probably more time avoiding local Druggies and Prostitutes & that"s no joke :eek: Tends to ruin it for me solo :(

Always find something new, but as you tend to spend most of the time looking for needles on the floor it"s no wonder you miss stuff till a return visit .

I was half expecting the recent Drummonds Mill fire to have been either the Conditioning House or Midland Mill but i suppose it"s on the cards for sometime in the future. Pity as i"ve never been in Drummonds. It was looking very sorry for it"self on Sunday evening, still smoldering away as the Demo team ripped it apart :(

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I put my foot through a board on the walkway, I shit myself. Nice photos u quite liked it in here.

Cheers JT :thumb

The walkway was basically the only thing i actually felt safe on that involved wood construction ;) The Offices caught me out with Lino looking perfectly safe to walk on, then putting my foot through & finding out there"s no floor underneath it with a 2 storey drop :eek: