real time web analytics
Report - - Cononley Lead Mine - 03/09/17 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cononley Lead Mine - 03/09/17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aaaaargh....... My first report crashed !!

Try again !!

This was my second visit to Cononley this year.... and a venture in with someone more youthful, my son.
My first visit in April was with a friend, I thought a second visit would be more "encouraging"..... Not to be...
On the walk down the incline shaft I noticed shuttering that wasn't there on my first visit... A positive sign that the mine is managed, possibly by a caving club?

We proceeded down to the upper adit level, about 100 yard in and 25 yard down !!
We climbed the wooden ladder up onto the adit and I went as far as to where the floor had collapsed into the incline, my son jumped over the hole and ventured all the way in that was possible. One of the paths had had a mud slip, part of which had spilled down into the incline (This had happened since my previous visit! )
My sons pics of the upper adit are on the FB page :- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=pcb.1491666620924057&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I went down back to the incline and went as far has what was freshly shuttered on my previous visit, this shuttering had now been buried and one pit prop was sitting redundant on the floor.

It wasn't much further there was more precarious shuttering with old rail tracks up to the roof..... I waited for my son to return, shouted him twice but the walls deadened my voice, he never heard me.
Upon his return he went up to the dubious shuttered part and said he didn't think I'd get through the tight spot (It was the politest time that he's ever called me a fat bastard !! ).
He shone a torch through though and noticed there wasn't any more shuttered edges and that the groud had been compacted with folk travelling through.

Yet again in another mine there was strings with stones hanging from the roof, these were attached to stainless screws in plugged holes, and weren't there on my previous visit... I'm beginning to think they may be something to do with surveying due to there being blue marking paint there too.

A little history taken from the web :-

"Some time subsequent to 1830, Messrs. Hall, of Newcastle, began the deep adit
level crosscut from a point in Nethergill, to the west of the village of Cononley, about
525 feet above the level of the sea, with a view of intersecting and draining thei main
vein at that depth. After driving through several faults and much disturbed ground for a
distance of of 90 fathoms, these gentlemen gave up the trial and the crosscut was
continued on behalf of His Grace the late Duke of Devonshire. The vein was met with
after a total drivage of 205 fathoms."

"The Main Vein is part of a large "fault", the throw of which has never been truly
ascertained by the miner, partly because the sides have been rarely seen, and further
on account of the disturbed state of the strata where the walls of the vein have been
proved. It is the most southern of all the lead producing districts of our county,
removed Borne ten miles from the nearest mine properly so called, and fourteen miles
from those producing lead ore in the Gritstone beds. These veins also proved the rare,
perhaps the only exception in the investigations made by Mr. C. Moore, of Bath, which
seems to establish the "existence of organic remains in the earthy matrix of mineral
veins in the carbon-iferous rocks." Again the main vein is the only one amongst the grit
producing mines of Craven which has yielded lead ore in quantities commercially
valuable, whilst traversing highly disturbed strata, and with accompanying masses of
shale in the vein itself: the veins in other mines requiring the beds to be comparitively
regular to prove productive, 9nd then as a rule becoming small and poor on the
approach of the shale either as a 1'cheek" of the vein, or thrown in as a leader, or
accompaniment of the vein."

"The Cononley mines were worked very many years ago, certainly before the
introduction of gunpowder into this district, but only to a shallow depth, except in one
place. The workers were stopped by their progress by the combined drawbacks of too
much water and too little lead ore. In one place, however, on the crown of the hill,
eastward, and near to ~ason's shaft, they got down to the depth of our Upper Adit
Level, or 24 fathoms from the surface at that point. Here the vein was poor"

... and the pics ................
IMG_20170903_130801.jpg

The sign with a little history (and map )
Cononley.jpg

The Engine house :-
IMG_20170903_130953.jpg

The beginning of the incline :-
IMG_20170903_132225.jpg

Fresh timber ?
IMG_20170903_132615.jpg

Colours in the rock / fresh pick marks could also be seen in many places too
IMG_20170903_132835.jpg

First lot of shuttering looking to the ladder to the upper adit
IMG_20170903_140535.jpg

An old candle
Note: candles sold on the mine at 6s. per dozen
IMG_20170903_140636.jpg

Upper adit left and right passageway (Note string on left passageway and a loose piece on the mud spill on the right)
IMG_20170903_133624.jpg

Taken from the edge of the floor fallto the incline (right passage blocked off)
IMG_20170903_133629.jpg

Redundant pit prop sat on spill the incline that had fallen through the floor from the upper adit
IMG_20170903_135339.jpg

and the spill (with ladder) I was sat upon
IMG_20170903_135327.jpg

As far as we got
IMG_20170903_135318.jpg

IMG_20170903_140149.jpg

The air inside felt good, with dust in the air moving... though we was only a short distance inside really...
Hope you enjoy the photos... and thanks for looking.

db2

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi....the last time I was up at Cononley mine was in the early 50's (I am old, I would have been about 11 or 12 at the time!) There used to be a hole (or holes) in the ground about 2 feet in diameter--these were not entrances, the ground had just collapsed. Being a kid, I could drop down into the tunnel beneath. This was not a mine as such, it was a stone lined tunnel---you could not walk upright in it. If you went up the tunnel you ended up inside the chimney thing, and could look up to the sky above. If I remember rightly, if you went the other way you came out further down the hill. I always thought these were air shafts or something but I was just a child and really don't know. Ahh, the lovely things you could get up to in those days, without your parents having a clue!!

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi....the last time I was up at Cononley mine was in the early 50's (I am old, I would have been about 11 or 12 at the time!) There used to be a hole (or holes) in the ground about 2 feet in diameter--these were not entrances, the ground had just collapsed. Being a kid, I could drop down into the tunnel beneath. This was not a mine as such, it was a stone lined tunnel---you could not walk upright in it. If you went up the tunnel you ended up inside the chimney thing, and could look up to the sky above. If I remember rightly, if you went the other way you came out further down the hill. I always thought these were air shafts or something but I was just a child and really don't know. Ahh, the lovely things you could get up to in those days, without your parents having a clue!!

You was in the flue for the chimney.... Down at the bottom would be where the ore was fired... and... you can still get up to those sort of things.....
The mine itself is stunning and worth going in, even if you don't venture too far (If you still enjoy walking I'd highly recommend it).

OrchardLeaf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Aaaaargh....... My first report crashed !!

Try again !!

This was my second visit to Cononley this year.... and a venture in with someone more youthful, my son.
My first visit in April was with a friend, I thought a second visit would be more "encouraging"..... Not to be...
On the walk down the incline shaft I noticed shuttering that wasn't there on my first visit... A positive sign that the mine is managed, possibly by a caving club?

We proceeded down to the upper adit level, about 100 yard in and 25 yard down !!
We climbed the wooden ladder up onto the adit and I went as far as to where the floor had collapsed into the incline, my son jumped over the hole and ventured all the way in that was possible. One of the paths had had a mud slip, part of which had spilled down into the incline (This had happened since my previous visit! )
My sons pics of the upper adit are on the FB page :- https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=pcb.1491666620924057&type=3&theater&ifg=1

I went down back to the incline and went as far has what was freshly shuttered on my previous visit, this shuttering had now been buried and one pit prop was sitting redundant on the floor.

It wasn't much further there was more precarious shuttering with old rail tracks up to the roof..... I waited for my son to return, shouted him twice but the walls deadened my voice, he never heard me.
Upon his return he went up to the dubious shuttered part and said he didn't think I'd get through the tight spot (It was the politest time that he's ever called me a fat bastard !! ).
He shone a torch through though and noticed there wasn't any more shuttered edges and that the groud had been compacted with folk travelling through.

Yet again in another mine there was strings with stones hanging from the roof, these were attached to stainless screws in plugged holes, and weren't there on my previous visit... I'm beginning to think they may be something to do with surveying due to there being blue marking paint there too.

A little history taken from the web :-

"Some time subsequent to 1830, Messrs. Hall, of Newcastle, began the deep adit
level crosscut from a point in Nethergill, to the west of the village of Cononley, about
525 feet above the level of the sea, with a view of intersecting and draining thei main
vein at that depth. After driving through several faults and much disturbed ground for a
distance of of 90 fathoms, these gentlemen gave up the trial and the crosscut was
continued on behalf of His Grace the late Duke of Devonshire. The vein was met with
after a total drivage of 205 fathoms."

"The Main Vein is part of a large "fault", the throw of which has never been truly
ascertained by the miner, partly because the sides have been rarely seen, and further
on account of the disturbed state of the strata where the walls of the vein have been
proved. It is the most southern of all the lead producing districts of our county,
removed Borne ten miles from the nearest mine properly so called, and fourteen miles
from those producing lead ore in the Gritstone beds. These veins also proved the rare,
perhaps the only exception in the investigations made by Mr. C. Moore, of Bath, which
seems to establish the "existence of organic remains in the earthy matrix of mineral
veins in the carbon-iferous rocks." Again the main vein is the only one amongst the grit
producing mines of Craven which has yielded lead ore in quantities commercially
valuable, whilst traversing highly disturbed strata, and with accompanying masses of
shale in the vein itself: the veins in other mines requiring the beds to be comparitively
regular to prove productive, 9nd then as a rule becoming small and poor on the
approach of the shale either as a 1'cheek" of the vein, or thrown in as a leader, or
accompaniment of the vein."

"The Cononley mines were worked very many years ago, certainly before the
introduction of gunpowder into this district, but only to a shallow depth, except in one
place. The workers were stopped by their progress by the combined drawbacks of too
much water and too little lead ore. In one place, however, on the crown of the hill,
eastward, and near to ~ason's shaft, they got down to the depth of our Upper Adit
Level, or 24 fathoms from the surface at that point. Here the vein was poor"

... and the pics ................
IMG_20170903_130801.jpg

The sign with a little history (and map )
Cononley.jpg

The Engine house :-
IMG_20170903_130953.jpg

The beginning of the incline :-
IMG_20170903_132225.jpg

Fresh timber ?
IMG_20170903_132615.jpg

Colours in the rock / fresh pick marks could also be seen in many places too
IMG_20170903_132835.jpg

First lot of shuttering looking to the ladder to the upper adit
IMG_20170903_140535.jpg

An old candle
Note: candles sold on the mine at 6s. per dozen
IMG_20170903_140636.jpg

Upper adit left and right passageway (Note string on left passageway and a loose piece on the mud spill on the right)
IMG_20170903_133624.jpg

Taken from the edge of the floor fallto the incline (right passage blocked off)
IMG_20170903_133629.jpg

Redundant pit prop sat on spill the incline that had fallen through the floor from the upper adit
IMG_20170903_135339.jpg

and the spill (with ladder) I was sat upon
IMG_20170903_135327.jpg

As far as we got
IMG_20170903_135318.jpg

IMG_20170903_140149.jpg

The air inside felt good, with dust in the air moving... though we was only a short distance inside really...
Hope you enjoy the photos... and thanks for looking.

Good pics. Looking at an old 1966 survey by M. Gill it looks like the place you said the upper adit floor had collapsed into the incline was a ore pass, where ore from the upper level could be tipped down into waiting ore carts on the incline.

The precarious shuttered section is a very tight squeeze (had to slither through in the wet, not really space to crawl) it opens up afterwards with partial collapses at points where workings go off the incline, which can be crawled through (standing space on top of some) before finally coming to a complete blockage (pic attached) just after the rise to a very ropey looking middle adit (lots of wet wood holding things back from what I could see looking up from the incline) at what I believe is the bottom of the ore pass from the middle adit.

It would be interesting to know when it became blocked, the 1966 survey showed the incline was passable down to the end at deep adit level, although one document says that the incline was in too poor a condition to use for the 50s workings (likewise the engine shaft was blocked at '26 fathoms', 52 yards, and couldn't be used to access middle or deep adits)

IMG_8268.JPG

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good pics. Looking at an old 1966 survey by M. Gill it looks like the place you said the upper adit floor had collapsed into the incline was a ore pass, where ore from the upper level could be tipped down into waiting ore carts on the incline.

The precarious shuttered section is a very tight squeeze (had to slither through in the wet, not really space to crawl) it opens up afterwards with partial collapses at points where workings go off the incline, which can be crawled through (standing space on top of some) before finally coming to a complete blockage (pic attached) just after the rise to a very ropey looking middle adit (lots of wet wood holding things back from what I could see looking up from the incline) at what I believe is the bottom of the ore pass from the middle adit.

It would be interesting to know when it became blocked, the 1966 survey showed the incline was passable down to the end at deep adit level, although one document says that the incline was in too poor a condition to use for the 50s workings (likewise the engine shaft was blocked at '26 fathoms', 52 yards, and couldn't be used to access middle or deep adits)

IMG_8268.JPG

Looks like you may need a shovel to get through there!!
I've read a report where someone got to the face and stated you needed "balls of steel" and that there was concerns over bad air.
Some group are doing regular work in there (not sure who) so expect changes within over time... I believe there are another couple of ways in (at least) too ;-)

Here are a couple of photos my son took from the upper adit
2.jpg

1.jpg

OrchardLeaf

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There were some stoped areas off the incline, the rock was nearly black there. Oxygen was adequate, dont know what co2 was, but I didn't hang around for long. Walking back up the incline was a bit tiring - you can't see the steepness, going down it feels pretty flat, but going back up you can feel it.

The upper adit has a portal just down the valley (pic), but it looks pretty low and wet (enough to at least get my feet wet which was too wet for me). YouTube has a video of the deep adit which looks very wet.

IMG_8332_enh.JPG

Last edited:

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
". Walking back up the incline was a bit tiring - you can't see the steepness, going down it feels pretty flat, but going back up you can feel it. "

Indeed, it's really weird how walking down appears flat but going back up you certainly feel it (I have COPD and would notice CO2 pretty easy, so it was a steady stroll).
a bit more digging around that entry in your pic may help with the water.

I believe the deep adit portal is further down the valley going by some of the maps I've seen.
Wet wood without any air circulating can cause firedamp so a cautious approach there I think if I go back this summer. I certainly feel drawn into getting a little further in there.

I';ve also been told of another (very wet ) entry up by the chimney I think...
Also, if I remember rightly, there should be a 2nd entry to the middle adit.

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
More likely to be blackdamp - a mixture of carbon dioxide, water, nitrogen and other shit that replaces oxygen - from rotting wood in unventilated areas.

Nasty fucker.
Any rotting vegetation causes methane, the rotting of wood is not an oxidisation it's more fungal....
blackdamp is more where the rock oxidises from what I believe ?

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Firedamp (usually methane but may have traces of nitrogen, ethane and carbon monoxide) in mines is usually found in coal mines only as the flam gathers in the uncut coal but once cut, the flam is released. Flams can also escape from old workings due to low atmospheric pressure above ground, i.e. no cutting needed.

Blackdamp is really the absence of oxygen - mainly carbon dioxide plus nitrogen minus oxygen. Usually caused by the oxidation / thermal decomposition of pit props, coal and other organic matter.

While not impossible to have methane in an iron mine, unlikely to be produced in the percentage by volume in air (5-15%) needed to cause firedamp as coal is the main conduit to the creation of firedamp.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Not here to argue either but maybe you should read up on firedamp, its causes and where it is likely to be found.

As for thermal decomposition of pit props and wood, I'll direct you to 'Noxious Gases Underground - A Handbook for Colliery Managers (1973)', NCB, Scientific Control by Norman Harrison. Page 1, paragraph 5 - 'Carbon Monoxide and hydrogen are produced in the thermal decomposition of coal, wood, rubber, etc.'

The NCB though. What would they know about mining and gases in mines that a Brazilian university doesn't...

Next time I'll say nothing as it seems I know nothing either.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Think I’d go with the publication that relates directly to the mining evnvironment.

I think you explained it pretty well CC

JoanneCard?

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No 1 Cononley isn't a coal mine

No 2 the chemical structure of wood is "50% carbon, 42% oxygen, 6% hydrogen, 1% nitrogen, and 1% other elements ".... Carbon dioxide consists of a carbon atom covalently double bonded to two oxygen atoms (There appears to be a lack of oxygen to do this in wood alone).

No 3 Water in most abandoned mines is acidic. Acidic water on any vegetation has an anaerobic effect (I'm pretty sure wood is vegetative ie has been grown, it was last time I checked).
Decaying organic matter and anaerobic conditions are a significant source of methane !!

No 4 Wood itself does not oxidise otherwise it would kill itself during growth, it does however weather.

No 5 Any bacteria eating away at the wood would also create methane which brings us back here "Anaerobic digestion is a collection of processes by which microorganisms break down biodegradable material in the absence of oxygen "

No 6 Methane is a hyrdo-carbon and has to burn to create carbon dioxide (and water)..... Now which attaches quicker to the carbon ?

I didn't just make it up that rotting pit props create methane in abandoned mines, I read it from a reliable source (I just cant find the source at the moment) but if you can't see now how firedamp can be caused by rotting pit props the fair enough... I tried :-/

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
If its an iron mine then its most likely blackdamp. The ore leeches the oxygen and if theres not enough airflow you end up with very high levels of CO2, this is the main reason we can't venture into any of the deeper levels in the Forest iron mines. The chances of it being firedamp (in an iron mine) is besically zero.