real time web analytics
Cottam Power Station - 2020 and 2022 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Cottam Power Station - 2020 and 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Cottam Power Station
Figured that I should probably post this one, considering it has sat in a pre-written state for most of the year on a file I've nearly deleted several times. Anyway, here goes nothin'

As coal usage in the UK and across most of the western world diminishes, more and more of the goliaths constructed under the CEGB would soon see an end with no successors.
Cottam is one of these and, another among a small collection within the Nottingham Trent valley having been producing electricity along with High Marnham, Staythorpe, Wilford and, with a few more within this pool.

As Cottams' final days loomed everyone's attention slowly turned into an obsession.
It became a subject of many conversations and disagreements.

Having missed the potential for the initial visits it was instantly clear, from the many whispers, that I would be massively out of my comfortable depth at Cottam even with an experienced or knowledgeable leader.
The security system deserves credit, it both works and asserts dominance upon any curious visitors.

A few weeks after closure. After starting our assessment of the station from the public land we were hiding, in the shadows of the bushes along the fence line, as several security teams swept the fields with their immensely bright torches and their blue-flashing lights to mimic a police response in order to weasel out their prey.
A failure, before we could even begin.

DSC_4254.jpg
The power station, imaged from Rampton, shortly after closure, during the evening hours with the "Cottam amber" clearly visible.

History:
For those wanting to read further than the usual quick history, I'd suggest checking out the "Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants - Cottam Power Station History Book" from EDF.

Hopefully this website link should work:

History - Construction

Cottam is one of many power stations built during the later half of the CEGB's initial years where, from their creation in 1957 by the Electricity Act, they had began planning over 40 power stations from 1958 onwards and began their small construction boom of the 1960's.
Construction was delegated to the CEGB Midlands Project Group who began construction on the site of Mickleholme Farm in 1964.

The design was amongst one of the 13 proposed super power stations, centred around housing up to four 500mw generating units.
This design, despite equipment and manufacturers varying across some as well as orientation, is fairly copy-paste and often gives a lot of the UK's power stations a sense of overwhelming similarity. Outside is where most stations can divide even with their architecture despite being the usual structures of boiler house, turbine hall, precipitators, chimney stack, deaerator bay, and so on.
Notable to this is Cottams' external cladding, designed by the Yorke Rosenberg Mardall firm who had previously designed structures such as Gatwick Airport. They chose a pink-like colouration to blend in with the brickwork of the surrounding area, dubbed "Cottam amber", which makes the station unique to British industry enthusiasts.

The contract to construct the station was handed to Balfour Beatty, the boilers to John Thompson and, the turbine and alternator sets to English electric. British Rail would reopen the rail link 1967 allowing coal to be delivered using the now established MGR system, with a branch-line to Cottam.

After four years of construction work, Cottam would be handed over to the CEGB in 1968 beginning a near fifty years of operation with unit 1 joining the National Grid in June and finally Unit 4 in April 1970.

History - Technical aspects

To keep this short I'll include the usual basic specifications copied from Wikipedia along with some small interesting bits.
Ton - Imperial Tonne - Metric

Water and Boilers.
Boilers were constructed by the Wolverhampton based John Thompson Water Tube Boilers Ltd company with the capabilities to continuously evaporate water at a rate of 3,400lbs per hour with the availability for short-term overloading and consuming up to 18,3000tons of coal per day. The water for the system was sourced from the River Trent although water was only released and consumed from the waterways when required to refill the system to account for liquids lost during evaporation. In total the system required around 57million gallons of water to operate and drew around 25 million gallons from the river at its highest, per day.
Each of the eight cooling towers were capable of cooling around 6 million gallons per hour.

Coal
The coal plant was rather sizeable and was designed for the implementation of another power station, presumably this would be known as Cottam B, if required. It even featured its own control room which was mostly seperate to the main station.

One of the key components, developed in conjunction with BR and its customers of the NCB and CEGB, was the Merry Go Round block-train freight system. In short this meant British Rail could operate block coal trains (single trains with the same type of freight and wagons) straight from the docks, where coal was imported, to Cottam in one continuous loop without the need to shunt or re-organise the train during the process. The trains would then be unloaded whilst moving through, at a low speed, with Cottam capable of handling a normal unload in under an hour. With each individual HAA-type wagon dropping up to 33tons of pulverised coal and later hoppers carrying around 78tonne.
At full capacity the coal yard could accept up to 25,000tons per day with coal sent via conveyor to the stock yard or just over 9,000tons directly into the boiler house bunkers if required.

Units and Generators
Built by English Electric, Cottam housed four 500mw turbo-generators.
These turbines hold eight high pressure stages with steam expanding in the first five sections and then reversing before travelling back through the last three stages. After travelling through the high pressure stage, the steam is returned to the boilers and reheated before another trip through the generator within the two low pressure systems through another eight stages.

The units, 1 to 4, where commissioned and synchronised with the national grid across an almost two year span.
By closure the units operated for almost 1.1million hours combined with unit three having the highest running time of over 129,000 hours (or over 14 years continuous operation) and unit four having the lowest whilst also being first to close prior to the plants' demise.
Unit 1: Synchronised in June 1968
Unit 2: Synchronised in June 1969
Unit 3: Synchronised in October 1969
Unit 4: Synchronised in April 1970

History - Lifetime

Cottam operated for around 50 years with most of the units operating and exceeded the initial designed life expectancy by nearly 20 years at the time of closure.

During the 1990's many of Britain's public companies fell into to private hands with Cottam power station leaving the confines of the CEGB in 1990 into the control of Powergen. Powergen were also in the process of becoming a privatised firm during 1990 and 1991, having been a public company themselves.
Powergen and siemens would construct the Cottam development centre, CCGT, on the site of the Football fields from 1997 and opening in 1999. This station was used to further develop the CCGT technology for other plants and itself.

Powergen would become part of EON in 2004/5.
By 2010, changes with EON saw Cottam transferred to EDF.

EDF would announce the closure of the station for September 2019 in the January, under the premise of challenging market conditions with Unit 4 ceasing operations in April. The final coal delivery would arrive in June.

During September Unit 3 would desynchronise from the grid, followed by unit 2.
Unit 1 would continue to supply the grid until 14:50 on the 23rd of September 2019, marking the end of coal fired generation at Cottam.

As incidents go, there were few, the one which catches the eye is the supposed "Cottam Rocket".
The incident is due to incorrect rigging when lifting a nearly 65ton alternator rotor from unit 3. Supposedly, the rigger insisted on using multiple slings and the engineer overruled the decision. When lifting the shaft began to shift from horizonal to vertical, before dropping towards and through the floor into a live cable tray.
Afterwards, the shaft was left poking through the floor for a few weeks until it could be removed and sent off for maintenance.

Anyway.

Attempt 2
Fast-forward a few months and a small collection of photos kept my interest alive with the station I had convinced myself not to worry about.

On another late evening we were again sat in my dying Peugeot, under the shadow of Cottam, as I turned the interior lights off to the preserve the battery and remove any local attention from the sounds of a whining alternator pulling up outside. We grabbed our stuff and began re-assessing the station with no new routes having been secured past the inital days of closure.

UT and JT were running late which stressed myself and X who were desperate to at least secure a potential chance of success with the limited time that had been planned for.
I sat and observed for movements across the eerily static environment of Cottam, stopping to urinate and scare off the animals which was often followed by a security patrol, whilst XPlorerX did the final calculations of his proposed route.
The evening was now pushing into the morning hours and it became a case of now or never so we dropped into the hellish world of weeds and grass snakes just as UT and Jtza showed up.
Everything was a chaotic blurr and the next time to catch our breath was kneeling between the cooling towers in a state of shock that we made it this far. Our jog continued into the structures around the main station and didn't really halt until we were stripping our warm clothes off in the depths of the boiler house.

"Shit, we are in!?" echoed in my head.
Very quickly our cameras were deployed, before we tried to warm ourselves up from the cold winds by doing miniature exercises. As our cameras absorbed the limited light, we began to observe the perimeter for any signs that we had been tracked.

Looking towards the cooling towers and a fair amount of the ancillary structures to support the plant.
DSC_4258_59_60.jpg

The stars, the lights, the darkness and the imposing view of another goliath.
DSC_4262.jpg

The night continued like any other as we cautiously clambered around the station trying to make the most of our time.

Deaerator Bay
DSC_4265.jpg

DSC_4269.jpg

Boiler House
DSC_4281.jpg

DSC_4284.jpg

Turbine Hall
Photographed from the Unit 4 end of the hall.
DSC_4291_2_3_4_5.jpg

Overview of the rather jagged and chaotic turbine hall, a contrast to smooth casings and well hidden pipe work.
DSC_4304_5_6_7_8.jpg

Viewed from the alternator ends.
DSC_4309_10_11_12.jpg

As the darkness was ending we needed to get out of the danger zone and back into our cars.
Yet, despite the anxiety of daylight approaching, we stalled numerous times to try our luck at the control room.
DSC_4331.jpg

Yeah, nah, not happening tonight.

A few moments later, we were out and heading home. With all things considered it was a satisfactory visit.
Still, that control room. I wanted it.
DSC_4339-HDR.jpg

Attempt 3

A few months on, news broke that the control room had been entered successfully and, the window to follow my have already shut.
We attempted the station once again before quickly calling it off.
With so much of our time having been spent driving to Cottam we decided to test a few theories before figuring out that most were likely a rumour.
As we turned our backs to leave, all hell broke loose over the next quarter of an hour.
Fail.

Attempt 4

It was a least a year on by this point and I found myself ferrying our arses back towards Cottam as a somewhat final ditch effort. For a good while it had sat on my mind and no matter how much I convinced myself to give up, it needed to happen. Thankfully a promising lead had came to light on the provision we dressed correctly. Thankfully, after a fairly long trek it had worked out. As the bitterly cold night pushed on, we were again catching our breath under the few shadows created by a mist-diffused moonlight before spending a few hours shivering to sleep on the roof.

As the sun attempted to break through the clouds I walked laps of the roof to warm up and drank what coffee remained in a hastily purchased flask before setting up the tripod.

Deaerator Bay Roof looking onwards to the switching station.
DSC_3284.jpg

The low mist and clear skies created a special few moments on the roof by myself as you very quickly grasp the scale of the place. Looking towards the cooling towers.
DSC_3285.jpg

Security having a nose into the drains surrounded by the massive cooling water pipes and the machinery which would eventually be used against the station.
DSC_3283.jpg

One of the sheltered sections where goods could be lifted through the boiler house to the roof.
DSC_3294.jpg

The day broke and the mist cleared. As expected and planned, we couldn't leave during the daylight hours without being seen before the tricky sections of the exit. Therefore, the late morning and early afternoon were spent traipsing around every inch of the station we found interesting. Yet, the control room evaded us.

Dead space above the boiler house.
DSC_3298.jpg

Some pipes
DSC_3302.jpg

More pipe
DSC_3316.jpg

In all honesty, the place is just stocked with pipes, I'd be surprised if any former technicians or engineers could name what most of the stuff did or where it all went.
DSC_3419.jpg

Something I always find interesting is how floors of these stations are named by their height from the ground, also the DA Tanks look like errm yeah...
DSC_3321.jpg

The aforementioned DA Tanks.
DSC_3306.jpg

DSC_3323.jpg

The Turbine hall was now well underway in terms of scrapping.
DSC_3348.jpg

DSC_3381.jpg

DSC_3371.jpg

Clock!
DSC_3385.jpg

Strangely, the hall looked so much more photogenic in this state.
DSC_3390.jpg

DSC_3393_394_395_396_397_400_402.jpg

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Regular User
...Continued
By mid afternoon, we were bored and playing mental games to amuse ourselves with so many hours to waste. With the control room being out of our reach, the other structures were eyed up.

The coal conveyor shafts. These used to run from the coal yard and between the cooling towers which was another one of Cottam's unique features.
DSC_3448.jpg

There was something rather moving about seeing this impressive scene as we walked down the conveyor network.
DSC_3434.jpg

Below the turbines.
A lot of the equipment down here was for cabling and the water systems.
DSC_3480.jpg

DSC_3491.jpg

Underground
Something about the sheer size of the underground systems here was impressive. Worryingly, it means there similar systems I have missed in sister stations around the country.
DSC_3495.jpg

Water Pumping Station
DSC_3508.jpg

I seem to recall a lot of the equipment here having filtration units and chemical pools. Presumably for killing off bacteria and removing contaminates, in order to ensure the water would not damage the station equipment or environment.
DSC_3528.jpg

The emergency water / fire fighting pumping station.
The red storage tank and pipe work really stood out in comparison to the greys, yellows and blues across the rest of the site.
DSC_3514.jpg

As the final few hours trickled away, our exit preparations began, before legging it across the open site to hopeful safety in the dark.
We walked away feeling like our time here had finished and cautiously walked the fields in the dark, having had a rather tense close call.
Then we were legging to the car, after sighting some headlights rapidly following us up a suspiciously disused road with the occupants shining torches from their windows.

A conclusion
Overall, I want to hate this place for everything I can point my fingers at. The chaotic design, the over reactive and OTT security, the cold and miserable nights driving across the country in the backache inducing Peugeot for nothing, the disagreements, the injuries and, being made to feel as if I had hit my limit at what is merely a derp.
Oh and the F-CKING CONTROL ROOM.
Also, the sneaky grass snakes. Did I mention that?

Yet, on the flip side, I assume that's why we do it.

DSC_3552.jpg

Demolition is well underway to erase the station from public knowledge and into the slightly nerdy world of industrial history.
The current death knell for the powerstations' imposing figure is scheduled for 2025.

Anyway, that'll be all.
KP_

Last edited:

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done KP. Seems everyone who has been here says about the security being very tight and on the ball. That clock is a beauty.

KPUrban_

Regular User
Love the ‘attempts’ reportage format
Thanks, it's been something I've tried with a few write ups I have in backlog. Allows me to put a little bit more into the "explore" section on the report, rather than the short overview that is normally given.

Last edited:

KPUrban_

Regular User
....Seems everyone who has been here says about the security being very tight and on the ball.
Certainly so, it is valid criticism.
The planning that went into the design and maintenance of the system is meticulous and very well thought out for a coal station which doesn't seem to have had the Greenpeace treatment on site.
I'd hazard a guess that it is the result of hiring and overly competent security consultant or management team, with the back up of some hefty funding and a dedicated team.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Great report that mate and good see some different bits too.

That cottam book you have posted is fantastic i don’t know how i haven't seen that before. So cheers for that.

KPUrban_

Regular User
Great report that mate and good see some different bits too.

That cottam book you have posted is fantastic i don’t know how i haven't seen that before. So cheers for that.
Thank you, there's a few more photos I wanted to post from other bits but I completely forgot to.

The book came up mostly by accident as I was trying to look up the "cottam rocket" story.
Spent a good few hours trawling through it and it made sense to link it here than rewrite it in this report.

StolenMonkey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
great report, nice to see a few vaguely familiar sites from when I did some work on the lifting beams and equipment there around 2005 when they were having a refurb on the place.

Who has read this thread (Total: 174) View details