real time web analytics
Report - - Cottam Power Station, Nottingham - Oct 19 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cottam Power Station, Nottingham - Oct 19

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

UrbanDoll

28DL Regular User
Regular User
This report is a kind of joint report as @Esoteric Eric and I went together so the photos are a combination of both of ours put together

History

The Cottam power stations are a pair of power stations. The site extends over 620 acres of mainly arable land and is situated at the eastern edge of Nottinghamshire.
As many know, these powerstations one by one are closing and being decommissioned.
Cottam in Nottinghamshire was opened in 1968 and at its height, produced 2,000 megawatts - enough to power more than 3.5 million homes.
Owner EDF Energy blamed "challenging market conditions" for the move, with all UK coal fire stations likely to shut by 2025.
It added many of the 300 workforce had moved either to nearby West Burton or other areas within the company.

Cottam was open for 50 years and in the grand scheme of things this actually isn't very long.

Explore

:D My first proper UK power station. This was an experience. As we drove up to the area it was clear there was security doing their rounds but after a while we enter. Inside, unfortunately there were workers inside and I guess this is why the control room was locked? The screens were still on but not sure what was really happening.
This explore was definitely cat & mouse as there was a few workers inside the turbine hall with us. Anyway, escaping unseen so enjoy the pics!

cottam.jpg

Image taken from google.

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 1.JPG

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 3.JPG

IMG_1882.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 5.JPG

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 7.JPG

IMG_1869.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 11.JPG

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1859.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 9.JPG

IMG_1858.jpg

Cottam Power Station, Nottinghamshire 8.JPG

Thanks for looking​

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
I wonder how long before that big sticky up thing gets an ascent?
Couple of work ones from a fair few years ago, pretty mental working at the top of a live chimney, the static electricity was crackling all around us. Flue gasses had been scrubbed by then so essentially just 60 degree steam coming out the top.

Esoteric Eric

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I wonder how long before that big sticky up thing gets an ascent?
Couple of work ones from a fair few years ago, pretty mental working at the top of a live chimney, the static electricity was crackling all around us. Flue gasses had been scrubbed by then so essentially just 60 degree steam coming out the top.

Always a pleasure to see your work photos TLR.

Last edited: