real time web analytics
Report - - Cottam Power Station, Lincolnshire, September 2020 | UK Power Stations | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cottam Power Station, Lincolnshire, September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User

IMG_0100.jpg

I hadn't actually intended to go to Cottam at all, given how reportedly commited security were to repelling camera wielding visitors. However, this was also around the time that @Olkka had got into my head with talk of 'the zone', and as such there grew a Cottam-zone shaped hole in my life that I felt compelled to fill. In the end I made two attempts. The first was alone, and I barely made it on site, not because of security or lack of a plan, but due to my own clumsiness, which resulted in a minor head injury. By coincidence @Olkka and @slayaaaa had seperately planned a trip for later the same night, but in my state of self-loathing I couldn't be persuaded to accompany them, and I skulked off home vowing to retire from everything other than the soggiest of derps. Three days later, having pulled myself together again, I returned with @Esoteric Eric and @UrbanDoll (both of whom had already been inside, shortly after decommissioning) for a more successful visit. On this night we saw nothing of any security, on-site or off, other than a brief flash of torch from a routine patrol on our way out. This did not stop me jumping at shadows from beginning to end, but Cottam remains a very positive memory.

Construction of Cottam Power Station began in April 1964 and was completed in 1968. The station was decommissioned on 30th September 2019.

The turbine halls have now been cleared. Here's a couple of videos of the precipitators being demolished:

Here's a few photos dating from the 60s.

IMG_9843.JPG

IMG_9842.JPG

IMG_9551.jpg

All photos in this first part are film. They're handheld, so apols for the shaky ones. This is definitely not a comprehensive record of a power station, more of a 'these are the things I snapped as a ran past' kind of deal.

IMG_000022.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

79340007.JPG

79340016.jpg

79340015.jpg

79340002.JPG

IMG_0103.jpg

79340009.jpg

IMG_000016.jpg

79340010.jpg

79340001.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

79340017.JPG

IMG_0102.jpg

79340008.JPG

IMG_0099.jpg

The CTRL room

As others have noted, one of the work stations now resides at the Science Museum (Cottam power station control desk | Science Museum Group Collection)
This had already been removed at the time of our visit, but the others remained.

IMG_0123.jpg

79340018.jpg

79340031.JPG

79340033.jpg

79340034.JPG

79340035.jpg

79340028.JPG

I'll drop some phone pics in the next thread...

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Can't get enough of those film photos, great report. The phone shots are decent too and the demolition videos you linked to were interesting.

ricks_adventures

28DL Member
28DL Member
The closest control room to the one from springfield, excellent! What a beauty, well captured! But the demolition looks like fun in another way honestly.

Olkka

Chillin at the structure
Regular User
Favourite of all the power stations for following reasons:
- Conveyor dissects cooling towers
- Ambient drone chimney.mp3
- Radial condensors
- Dinosaur looking ass turbos
- Swiss train station clock in turbine hall
- Hole in control room ceiling rappel
- Cuban hotel ceiling fans on ctrl room work desks
- Brick bunkers
- Geese gaggle colonising coal yard
- Epic rumbler response time
- conveyor dissects cooling towers again

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
Favourite of all the power stations for following reasons:
- Conveyor dissects cooling towers
- Ambient drone chimney.mp3
- Radial condensors
- Dinosaur looking ass turbos
- Swiss train station clock in turbine hall
- Hole in control room ceiling rappel
- Cuban hotel ceiling fans on ctrl room work desks
- Brick bunkers
- Geese gaggle colonising coal yard
- Epic rumbler response time
- conveyor dissects cooling towers again
I genuinely can't decide whether I agree with you or not as I'm still trying to process your list. Give me a week.

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Always had pain with this place, it's a bit like a troubled horse that will either kick you in the face or walk off in the wrong direction whilst riding. Never went right.

You've managed to walk out with some cracking photos.

on another note.
Imagine how good one of them control desks would be for streaming games or DnB or whatever.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 177) View details