real time web analytics
Question - - Cranes and padlocks | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Cranes and padlocks

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

OysterJam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On the way back from the pub I was suddenly inspired to climb my first crane. Hopped the fence, got onto the first ladder, climbed up 3 more ladders but then found that they'd padlocked the next one shut.

Does anyone who climbs cranes often know how common that is? I'm assuming people I've seen on Youtube just take a pair of bolt cutters with them, but I'm not willing to enter criminal territory.

Seffy

Staff member
It's very common these days, sadly.. God I sound like an old man there. They often padlock hatches shut somewhere between the ground and around a third to half the way up. I think cranes have had these hatches for years but they never used to bother locking them as they probably didn't consider hooligans trying to climb the cranes! On some cranes you can squeeze round the platform with the hatch on, between the crane structure and the mesh they typically put around that level, but that isn't always the case... and you have to be incredibly slim... and it feels dodgy so do so at your own risk and within your limits

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Unfortunately after a few goons put public displays of massive goonery atop cranes all over Youtube a few years back, they tend to be a lot more well protected nowadays, to the detriment of us weirdos.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Don't be advertising swinging the croppers about, never a good idea on a publicly viewable platform.

You're now doubt one of these skinny youth @Seffy mentioned, reckon you'd easily bypass any security measures if a fat lad like me can do it :rofl

Seffy

Staff member
Don't be advertising swinging the croppers about, never a good idea on a publicly viewable platform.

You're now doubt one of these skinny youth @Seffy mentioned, reckon you'd easily bypass any security measures if a fat lad like me can do it :rofl
Nahhh I've seen you squeeze through gaps almost as small, notably on a certain site in central London !

OysterJam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Sadly neither as skinny nor youthful as I used to be!