real time web analytics
Report - - Criggion VLF station July 2008 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Criggion VLF station July 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T

tegwin

Dont think this place has had much attention....

There is loads of information about the VLF station at Criggion on the subbrit website, or on the BBC...

BBC - Shropshire - History - The secret masts of Criggion

Criggion Radio – Subterranea Britannica

But basically, the very low frequency (VLF) station was built at Criggion during WW2 to allow communication around the world. However its main roll (although not officially) was during the cold war when 160 people were employed at Criggion. The facilites were used to comunicate with the tridant nuclear submarines.

The three masts where demolished in 2003, all that is left on site are the secure compounds where the masts/cables stood, the main VLF transmitter building, the power/signal building and two office blocks with assorted auxiliary buildings.

High fence with what looked like a card scanning booth next to the foot gate...
IMG_6815.jpg

VLF transmitter building on the right, and (I think) backup generator building on the left....although I cant figure out what was going on with the buildings....
IMG_6838copy.jpg

VLF building again
IMG_6846copy.jpg

IMG_6851copy.jpg

IMG_6843.jpg

IMG_6819copy.jpg

VLF transmitter room.....its HUGE!
IMG_6821copy.jpg

I think this building (situated opposite the VLF building) would have housed the main substation and signal transformers..(the entire fence is wired with anti cut wires....you desturb the wires when the system is armed and you get shot!)...
IMG_6863copy.jpg

The two admin buildings down the road...(both identical in design)
IMG_6871copy.jpg

IMG_6886copy.jpg

Large work area
IMG_6866copy.jpg

This room is weird, the suspended floor is very modern, as are the rack coolers on the walls....This, I guess would have housed the more modern transmitting equipment to handle the signal processing....but im just guessing....there are some photos of this room on subbrit!
IMG_6879copy.jpg

Wall mounted rack cooler
IMG_6874copy.jpg

Awsome rooflights
IMG_6882copy.jpg

P

peterblake

Re: REPORT- Criggion VLF station July 2008

The site was leased by BT owned by Defence Estates and will soon be sold off if the original owner does not buy it back.

A huge amount of the equipment is now located at the HACK GREEN BUNKER exhibition including the famous transmitter on which Mrs Thatcher stated that the 'Belgrano' was violating the Falklands Exclusion Zone - at Hack Green you can even hear the famous transmission.

Peter.